The Rig (Large post, with loadsa pix)

Name
Kris
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok so a few of you have been asking about seeing the rig I used for my recent shots, ok here goes ...

Ages ago I used glass carrying handles (£6 from B&Q) to bolt my tripod to which worked well but it wasn't quite long enough to get the whole car in, so I have simply bolted 3 metres of 2" Aluminium tube to the handles with exhaust clamps and some quirky bits of metal lying around.

A terrible image I know, but you can see what I mean:

DSC00181.jpg

Then using two more exhaust clamps and a bit of sheet metal with 5 holes in, made the camera platform, a 3/8 bolt help the head on, albeit upside-down.

DSC00176.jpg

I thought I had finished at this point but on trial, there was a fair bit of flex still, so then put a bit of scaffolding end in the middle and with hooks of a rachet strap at either end, I pulled it taught onto the middle bit of pole:

IMG_6367s.jpg

Now it solid as a rock at much greater speeds than I will ever be doing.

Here is a couple of Porsche shots (cropped) of the rig in place, edited was simply cloning and adding a touch of blur to the bits I had tidied up.

CRW_6382s.jpg

CRW_6388.jpg

The pole cost £20
Handles £6 each, two of.
Rachet strap small £9
Exhaust clamps should of been a couple of quid each, but hey, there has to be some perks to running an ATS depot, lol

So there you go, easy huh. any questions ?

Thanks for that, very clever, and cheap :D

(y)

So the suction on these things with the leverage of the poles does not damage the bodywork then?
Looks like it should to me but you must have got away with it. So :clap: :clap: for an ingenious design.

Nice work, very ingenious and interesting!

There is no damage to the bodywork but it would make sence just to check that your not putting it on a soft or thin panelled part, just in case.

The whole thing is about 5 kilo's, and I strip the camera of anything heavy, ie battery grip.

Of course if its a fragile car, I have the opion of moving the pole inwards to reduce the load on the farthest sucker.

Glad you like it, its all trial and error at this point.

Heath Robinson would be proud! :)

Seriously good idea. I have one of these:
AMANFTR301048136.jpg

which I use in my Lotus for track days with a video camera. Might try some still work now.......

Well done for sharing your secrets Kris - truly inspiring stuff! (y)

Top stuff. Really fancy having a go at making one of these myself - have found the suction handles for £3.
Quick question - are your handles plastic or aluminium? Was just concerned about getting plastic handles that got crushed by the brackets/clamps.

Thanks guys, Mark, the handles are plastic but they are pretty strong, you cant see it, but inside the hollow handles is a small bit of steel tube for added strength.

I'm interested to see other peoples shots if they are going to try this.

Nice work Kris. Have you tried PVC tubing to save weight and potential damage to panels or is there too much flex in it?

Sorry for the late reply, I lost the thread!

I'm not sure PVC would be up for the job being so flexable, you should see the stuff I tested in B & Q ! lol

I'm going to build a mark3 model later in the year which will involve massive magnets and a carbon fibre pole for under car mounting, I have the design, I just need to source the parts. watch this space.

People have seen me playing with this rig and when I show them the Porsche image, they are well interested in getting some shots of thier own toys, 3 orders are in the planning stage as we speak, the rig has paid for itself 5 times over already.

Anyone else built one yet ?

this is a fantastic mount liberalis, i loved the last one you did and i built that and was well impressed with the results.

i am REALLY interested in doing this mount aswell and like you i have spent about an hour in B&Q flexing different materials to see what could work.

i thought a scaffold pole would be too heavy but i guess not.

any chance you can take some more pictures of how you have mounted the camera head onto the pole as thats the bit that is confusing me the most.

keep up the good work :D

So where are the pics then Dal, I wanna see, i wanna, i wanna!

B&Q didn't have anything suitable, in the end I popped into a steel stockholders who happened to carry some ally tubing. I bought 3 metres, and I would guess its 2" in diameter, with a gauge of about 4 or 5mm, the bit sticking up is from ally scaffolding but this was too thin, only being 2mm thick, it wobbled too much.

clamps1.jpg

This is what was used around the end of the pipe, 2 of. a metal plate with 5 holes in makes the bit where the head bolts on, like the number 5 on a dice.

Come on, where are the pics Dal. lol

So where are the pics then Dal, I wanna see, i wanna, i wanna!

B&Q didn't have anything suitable, in the end I popped into a steel stockholders who happened to carry some ally tubing. I bought 3 metres, and I would guess its 2" in diameter, with a gauge of about 4 or 5mm, the bit sticking up is from ally scaffolding but this was too thin, only being 2mm thick, it wobbled too much.

clamps1.jpg

This is what was used around the end of the pipe, 2 of. a metal plate with 5 holes in makes the bit where the head bolts on, like the number 5 on a dice.

Come on, where are the pics Dal. lol

cheers for the info.

will put some pics up tonight when i get on the home pc :D

I've still got to get around to making one of these - can't believe how well your pics come out! From the looks of it, it works better in lower light when the background can be blurred a bit more or you can create light trails?

I think it is better at night, but then you have to have enough light on the car and points of interest, calipers for example. I'm waiting for the weather to use a light blue bentley GT on a street that looks as bright as blackpool, but with just enough white light to keep the car lit. in theory it should be a cool effect.

Dal, were you waking with this car or driving it ? I might be tempted to use full lock around a street lamp, a white one is best rather than that poo looking orange one, and get someone to push the car while you take the shot.

Regards

Kris

I think it is better at night, but then you have to have enough light on the car and points of interest, calipers for example. I'm waiting for the weather to use a light blue bentley GT on a street that looks as bright as blackpool, but with just enough white light to keep the car lit. in theory it should be a cool effect.

Dal, were you waking with this car or driving it ? I might be tempted to use full lock around a street lamp, a white one is best rather than that poo looking orange one, and get someone to push the car while you take the shot.

Regards

Kris

i'm walking along side the car, well in the last pic as it was day light i was practically running lol, will try using an ND filter next time i think to try that out to give a slightly longer shutter speed.

theres a nice car park near me with really good white lighting so may try a night shot there.

hey, may be this is a stupid question, but... have to ask.

how you make the shot? How you push the shutter when you want the picture taken?

There is a control remote? Timer? Cable?

hey, may be this is a stupid question, but... have to ask.

how you make the shot? How you push the shutter when you want the picture taken?

There is a control remote? Timer? Cable?

i dont have a remote or cable release so i set the timer for 2 seconds once the car is moving.

Back