The River Derwent (Shotleybridge)

Name
Ken
Edit My Images
Yes
Please excuse me as I set off on my old man routine. This used to be a lovely place when I was a kid. I spent most of my childhood around this area and learnt to swim at this stretch of the river. Then in the 70’s (God that hurt) you were very fortunate if you could find a place to picnic, as the length of the river banks were always full with parents and there kids. Wonderful times and now it very rarely gets used and is somewhat over grown. I took my daughter round, who got a digital camera for a recent birthday and we had to wade through weeds 5ft tall. Great for the wildlife or some but hard work for us. Still although I wasn’t quick enough with the camera, we did get to see some deer. AND a host of spiders and other creepy things at eye level.

Lovely shot there, and Im sure it captures many years of memories for you.
Sadly there are places like this, and stories like yours up and down our country.
Rivers, parks, and nature areas like this are being left to overgrow and become less uninviting as they once were.

I too have a similar story, a place where I grew up, my family and I used to frequent some lovely paddling pools, rivers and streams not far from me now.
Now when I return they've been left to rot, broken glass everywhere, signs of vandalism, council barriers put up to keep people out. Paddling pools drained because of them being so filthy and councils not wanting the public to sue for injury or mishap.

It really is a shame, I love places like this and I'd like my children to grow up with similar memories.

Yes it is such a shame, especially as it's on our doorstep, no consolation but at least we had the pleasure of seeing and growing around such beautiful places. Most kids these days will never know what they have missed. I have 4 children, 3 of which still live at home and we go out as often as possible, all I talk about is how I grew up here and played there, this was a beautiful place when I was a kid. Although they don't show it, I'm sure there sick of hearing it.
Must get my pipe and slippers.
Ken.

i used to go to shotleybridge from Consett whilst i was at college there, really nice place! Loverly shot too

wonderfull album ken !!
something sad lonesome in your pictures

EosD said:
i used to go to shotleybridge from Consett whilst i was at college there, really nice place! Loverly shot too
The college is no longer on the bank now, they built a new one were the company stood (right outside Mc Donalds). Don't know the last time you were in this area but if you'd like i'll take some pics for you.
Seberri said:
wonderfull album ken !! something sad lonesome in your pictures
Thanks! that really cheered me up :) Nothing intensional, I have been removing some of my older pics as I have become a little more confident with regards processing. Hopefully some happier pics to follow. Thanks for looking.

there wasnt a Mcdonalds there last time i was there!

I must have been gone over 10 years now, i knew the college had gone, every educational facility i was taught in except 1 has now been turned into houses or something

Back