The Riverdance is sinking (Update)

Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
The first shot is of The Abana in the foreground.
The Abana was a sailing barque wrecked at Blackpool on 22nd Dec 1894.
She was sailing from Liverpool to Savello in Florida when she was caught in a storm off the Blackpool coast, the crew mistook the Tower for a lighthouse. :shrug:

SunkRiverdance_oldwreck_800.jpg

The big lump behind it is the Cargo ship Riverdance
She ran aground after being broadsided by a large wave on the 19.30 31st Jan 2008. At 19:45 the captain issued a Mayday. The remaining crew were airlifted off the ship at 04:00 on 1 February.

Close up of the Ship how are they going to float this :shrug: :thumbsdown:

SunkRiverdance_800.jpg

Im unsure how to record the 2 shots in any other way so CC is welcome. Thankyou :D

I have some shots of the Abana somewhere, I always though it was an old jetty ! yet to see the Riverdance but am in Cleveleys next week so must remember to take my camera - your pics look brilliant by the way, love the colour and texture of the hull in #2 :)

Thankyou for your comments. (y)
I dont think there is any other way to as I see it record the ship and its slow journey as it sinks into the sand. :shrug:

I think they should leave it there and turn it into a giant adventure playground.

I agree too, the second shot is great. I didn't realise it had gone over completely onto it's side never mind actually begin sinking into the sand. Those people sure do have a huge task on their hands.

Also thanks for the little history lesson with the first image.

I think we can safely say it'll be here for a while, I have heard the latest plan is to try and dig a hole on the bottom side of her and to hope she falls into it :LOL: If not I think the plan will be to cut her up and move her in pieces :(

As for the photos Gibbo I know how difficult this is to get something different, I think whilst these aren't photographically stunning they do make a great record and I'm guessing you are building quite a collection since the 1st Feb; who knows you may even be able to get a book out of it.

Perhaps you could get a GPS and take a photograph from the same position every week over the coming months and perhaps build it in to a little movie

From a personal perspective (spending my weekends at the GF's who lives just the other side of the big white building you see on the right in photo 2) the biggest problem with this boat is that it makes it very difficult for the locals to do normal things. The tourists visiting with their cars blocking the place up AND it's not even the main season yet.

The last time i took i was there, it was on its side then and then tide was coming in then. Glad to see you had better weather than i had ;)

The last time i took i was there, it was on its side then and then tide was coming in then. Glad to see you had better weather than i had ;)

I went today and never even thought about the tide :bang::bang: so my shot gets the prize for worse Riverdance image :LOL:

riverdance.jpg

Back