The Shady Path

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Just a simple straight forward path, but shaded on a warm late summers day.

Please just constructive critique and comments.

Best regards Paul

What have you done in PP with this, Paul. It looks a little strange to me? Is it an HDR?

Yes, its an HDR with three bracketed images -1, 0, +1 processed in both Photomatix and Elements7.
this is how i remember seeing the pathway, with its filtered light breaking through the trees.
Can you explain to me how you see it a bit strange?.

Best regards Paul

Looks a bit strange to me too. I imagine it's how it would appear if I was on drugs, sort of fuzzy like looking at those 3 d pictures you get in corn flake packets. Though most HDR's do look like that to me.

Unfortunately, way too much detail for HDR - gives it the "oversharpened" look. Doesnt really work I'm afraid

Thing is, you either like HDR, or you don't and there is no middle ground, but i still appreciate all your comments, either positive or negative.
I did not want to lighten this image to much, as that would have defeated the object of taking it in the first place.

Best regards Paul

Hi there,

This is a nice composition, but the hdr has introduced a lot of noise, and i agree that it has the appearance of being kinda fuzzy, and not at all sharp. I presume that you were using a tripod to bracket your shots?

I really think that people are starting to use hdr just for the sake of it. I expect that this shot could have been been achieved with one exposure, and in my opinion would look a lot better for it.

Just my opinion

All the best

Ewan

Last edited:
I can see where you are coming from and there is no harm in experimenting (y) However if you were honest you did not remember seeing an HDR woodland when you walked down the path ;) So if you wanted to portray that memory then HDR is not the thing to do, however if you were practising HDR then maybe it could have been brightened up a bit and not had such a fuzzy effect. I have done an edit on that shot and although far from perfect I think there seems a bit more atmosphere to it :shrug:

The_shady_path_b_filtered.jpg

Hi there,

This is a nice composition, but the hdr has introduced a lot of noise, and i agree that it has the appearance of being kinda fuzzy, and not at all sharp. I presume that you were using a tripod to bracket your shots?

I really think that people are starting to use hdr just for the sake of it. I expect that this shot could have been been achieved with one exposure, and in my opinion would look a lot better for it.

Just my opinion

All the best

Ewan

Thank you Ewan for your comments and critique.
You may very well be right in saying that this could be taken in one shot, and it would have looked nice.
As to using HDR for the sake of it, i think you will find that this is a new art form emerging as part of photography because some togs are beginning to like that surreal look about it.
Like it or loath it, i think its here to stay and its increasing in popularity, some forums are creating sections just for posting images of your work.

As you have probably guessed, i am one of those togs that have been well and truly bitten by that bug, right on my butt.
I will run the original through Noise ninja, or neat image to get rid of ant noise there, so a big thanks for telling me.

Best regards Paul

I can see where you are coming from and there is no harm in experimenting (y) However if you were honest you did not remember seeing an HDR woodland when you walked down the path ;) So if you wanted to portray that memory then HDR is not the thing to do, however if you were practising HDR then maybe it could have been brightened up a bit and not had such a fuzzy effect. I have done an edit on that shot and although far from perfect I think there seems a bit more atmosphere to it :shrug:

The_shady_path_b_filtered.jpg

Thanks for your input u8myufo.
I beg to differ on your comment on not seeing an image in HDR, as this is exactly what we do see with our eyes, its our cameras cannot see in HDR and cannot capture all the details in shade and light.
This is where HDR comes into play, as it was originally intended to reproduce that particular effect for the viewer.
Now its moved on from there into a totally different look, with either Purists or creationists creating surreal images.
I appreciate you fine tuning the image, and lightening it up for me, but this is not how i remember how it was as it was as dark as it is shown in the original posting, but i still agree it could look better lightened a bit, so i will go ahead and process it further just to bring the detail out.

Best regards Paul

Personally, I'm a fan of HDR when it's done well, but something's gone horribly wrong in the processing of this one and I don't think it's just the noise issue.

Have you considered trying the Orton effect for images like this one, Paul? I'm of the opinion it suits images with a lot of foliage and dappled light.

Last edited:
Hi,
i certainly do not loathe hdr at all, i just think it has a time and a place, and also needs to be done subtly, i think the best hdr's are where you cant tell that is hdr.

But everyones is entitled to their own opinion, im sorry if ive offended you as i certainly didnt mean to.

all the best

Ewan

Thank you Ewan for your comments and critique.
You may very well be right in saying that this could be taken in one shot, and it would have looked nice.
As to using HDR for the sake of it, i think you will find that this is a new art form emerging as part of photography because some togs are beginning to like that surreal look about it.
Like it or loath it, i think its here to stay and its increasing in popularity, some forums are creating sections just for posting images of your work.

As you have probably guessed, i am one of those togs that have been well and truly bitten by that bug, right on my butt.
I will run the original through Noise ninja, or neat image to get rid of ant noise there, so a big thanks for telling me.

Best regards Paul

No prob my edit was just to emphasis the fact it could be brightened up.Dont get me wrong I myself like HDR. There are certainly variations of HDR but your pic does not seem to replicate a high dynamic range photograph, and I am intrested where you have proof we see our environment in this way maybe a link to some info would be intresting.

.... and I am intrested where you have proof we see our environment in this way maybe a link to some info would be intresting.

This point about how we see things is quite captivating. The last few days have been characterised by a fairly flat, quite bright, uniform light here in rural East Anglia, and as I have been driving around it has occurred to me that I have been 'seeing' in HDR. There is a kind of detail, a distinct lack of deep shadow, and the eye picks up an equally good and simultaneous exposure on both land and sky. Its not the case at the moment, 7.00 in the evening as the light is falling, but certainly it has been quite vivid during the hours of full daylight.

.....now where did I leave my pills.....?

Hi,
i certainly do not loathe hdr at all, i just think it has a time and a place, and also needs to be done subtly, i think the best hdr's are where you cant tell that is hdr.

But everyones is entitled to their own opinion, im sorry if ive offended you as i certainly didn't mean to.

all the best

Ewan

Oh no Ewan!, there is no way you have offended me and i value everyones opinion which they are entitled to have.
When i said that you either like, or loath HDR, this was not cast in your direction, but more in a general sort of way.
I am sorry if i gave you that impression.

I used Neat image to clear up any noise on the image, and there is a big difference to the finish.
As to this Orton effect which i have heard about, i am going to have to research into that, as i don't have a clue what it is :bonk: :shake:.

Best regards Paul

Back