The Shard Inauguration Laser Light Show

Yv

TPer Emerita
Name
Yvonne, pronounced Eve...
Edit My Images
Yes
No idea WHY I thought it would be a good idea to take the kids [the ones that are now old enough to buy ME a beer!] and head into London for a bite to eat, a drink and to see/photograph the light show tonight that marked the Shards completion. It was chaotic, couldn't get near a bar or restaurant without a half hour wait and London Bridge was packed with people! Quite pretty though :D

I am no great landscape/nighttime photographer and these were all handheld, exif intact if anyone is interested, not perfect but worth sharing a few I hope. More on my flickr stream (y)

1 - Like I say, London Bridge was packed, police end up having to close to traffic, this bus took about 10 mins to cross

The Shard Inauguration Lightshow, London by Yvonne White - WhiteGoldImages, on Flickr

2 - ...aaaaand we are off and running

The Shard Inauguration Lightshow, London by Yvonne White - WhiteGoldImages, on Flickr

3 - lots of pretty colours

4 - more colours

5 - quite dazzling

6 - as the crowds thinned [it was meant to last 5 mins, but after 30, people were bored and drifting away] I was able to get wider without lots of heads in my way

Like I say, more on flickr and c&c welcome - did the best I could with a 28mm and 50mm lens - shooting at f1.4/f1.6 and high ISO's is not for the faint hearted I realise :LOL:

I really wish I had know about this a couple of day's ago, I would have made arrangements to be there for this :( it not that far a drive :crying: this kind of thing is right up my street when it comes to photography

Considering that your not someone that ventures into the dark arts of night time photography too often I'd say that you've done really well on these (y) all have interest and make for nice images, it would have been nice to get some reflection stuff in but I expect to see that from at least one other TPer that I no via facebook was there for tonight and was there early enough to secure a excellent location (y)

Matt

Yeah that works, If I had knew about it at 4:30 I'd have still considered it :( I can normally do home to Westminster well St. Thomas' Hospital in 2.5 to 3 hours quicker if I really get heavy right foot :D I'd have loved to cover it :crying: it would have been well worth it :D

You would have enjoyed it, especially as it went on for much longer than they said it would and the crowds thinned. Until then I was really struggling due to being hobbit height. Once I got by the bridge parapet [?] it became much easier. I knew we would be too late to even think about taking a tripod, but it was rather nice anyway. Thanks for the comments Matt, will send you a message next time I hear of anything similar (y)

You would have enjoyed it, especially as it went on for much longer than they said it would and the crowds thinned. Until then I was really struggling due to being hobbit height. Once I got by the bridge parapet [?] it became much easier. I knew we would be too late to even think about taking a tripod, but it was rather nice anyway. Thanks for the comments Matt, will send you a message next time I hear of anything similar (y)

I know :bang: I do love shooting after dark :D That would be great :D I'm considering coming down for the opening ceremony as I'm guessing that there will be fireworks :D

I know :bang: I do love shooting after dark :D That would be great :D I'm considering coming down for the opening ceremony as I'm guessing that there will be fireworks :D

oh YES! We just need to make friends with someone that lives in a block of flats with a good view, because getting anywhere close will be a bloody nightmare.... I guess there is always up at greenwich observatory, though a lot of people will have the same idea :nuts:

Good series Yv... I commented on a couple on your flickr stream as well... it looks rammed to be honest... glad i didnt go in the end... dont think I would have done it justice anyway

Yv said:
oh YES! We just need to make friends with someone that lives in a block of flats with a good view, because getting anywhere close will be a bloody nightmare.... I guess there is always up at greenwich observatory, though a lot of people will have the same idea :nuts:

Unfortunately the observatory will be locked off Yv. That's where the Equestrian events are running.

Good set!

1&6 for me, the first sets the scene very well, and the iconic red bus is a lovely touch.

6, by including the buildings, you have added a needed context to the scene, this works very well, like this a lot.

2-5 while technically sound, are (for me) just a record of the event.

You are lucky your sensor didn't get fried ! Good shots though.

There is a chance that a laser can mess up your sensor if shined directly into it, but I've never heard of any cases of it myself and I think that it would have to be a very high power laser as a reasonably close proximity :thinking: and for more than just a pass of the laser it would need to be on the sensor for a number of seconds

Last edited:
MWHCVT said:
There is a chance that a laser can mess up your sensor if shined directly into it, but I've never heard of any cases of it myself and I think that it would have to be a very high power laser as a reasonably close proximity :thinking: and for more than just a pass of the laser it would need to be on the sensor for a number of seconds

Have you seen the video of a sensor getting fried on a 5d II on YouTube? It's split second and the sensor is damaged.

As Crystal Palace is quite high up you should have seen the crowds that had gathered. You can easily see the building from there.

Good shots Yvonne.

Have you seen the video of a sensor getting fried on a 5d II on YouTube? It's split second and the sensor is damaged.

The laserss never actually pointed towards where we were anyway, they were either at the tops of other landmark buildings way overhead, or across the other side of the river where, a lady stood next to me said, the Shard 'group' were having their celebrations. Plenty of press shooting from there though... ;)

Thanks for the comments all, appreciated (y)

Mark - bugger! :LOL:

Clive - I imagine Primrose Hill and even top end of Hampstead Heath had a few crowds too ;)

I have, you'll note I said it can happen but it's not exactly a regular occurrence (y) search youtube and you'll find almost everything ;) I use shoot with lasors on a semi regular basis and have never had an issue I suspect part of the issue is when filming you sensor is more exposed than taking still were more often the sensor is covered up :D

Six and five for me Yvonne, six for the buildings making sense of it and five just cos it looks cool.

Ps who shot your avatar? you, tis brill.

Thanks Ad. There would have been more 'buildings to make sense' if I was your height and could shoot over the heads infront of me :LOL: Will try and post one later that shows the problems I had initially....

and TANKYOU, yes, its a selfie ;)

Back