The TP 52 - 2024 The sign up and chat thread Week 17 Structure

I’d ask first of all which camera does your hubby have?

Crop sensor or FF?

This may(or may not) affect how transferable his lenses are.

I.e. if he has an APS-C with EF-S lenses, then they won’t fit a FF camera.

It also depends on what you've discovered you like shooting.

Prefer sports or fast moving subjects, then you might prefer something with a higher FPS rate rather than worrying about ultimate IQ.

But realistically any DSLR from a 20D all the way through to a 5d IV could work. And in some instances, the older and cheaper the better.

I bought a 20D a few years back and loved the simplicity of it. I liked it so much, I then 'upgraded' to a MKI 5D.

I upgraded that to a MKIII 5D but have regretted selling the 5D ever since. To some degree, I also regret letting the 20D go too. Even though both camera were well over 10 years old when I got them, I sill loved using them.

And then, if you want to go mirrorless, you don't have to dive in and get a R3 or R5. There are much cheaper intro mirrorless cameras. BUT whichever one you go for, you'll have to factor in a 'proper' converter. By that I mean one which has all the necessary electronics to match EF lenses to an RF body.

I have some old Minolta lenses that I use on a Sony mirrorless camera. But this is a purely mechanical connection the camera doesn't control the lens and the lens does not give the camera any information. Because of that, they're only about £30. To ensure the EF lenses work on an R body, you'll need to spend anywhere from around £200-£400 depending on the brand of your converter.

Good luck though - I certainly made some major errors with my choices along the way - more so in terms of lenses than bodies. So my 'best' advice would be to post on here in the equipment section and ask before buying. Then someone with way more knowledge than me will be along to tell you what they think.

The only issue with doing it online is how the threads normally go.

"I want to spend £300, which is the best camera?"

But before you know it, someone will say,

"well, £300 could be a waste of money as you'll end up with the wrong thing, you're better off spending £500 and getting XXX"

And then someone else will say

"Well, if you're spending £500, you might as well increase it to £1,000"

Before you know it, your mortgage payments are going directly to Canon.

Last edited:
I'd like to know what you all think.

I agree with @Kell, get whatever is compatible with hubby's lenses. Just get something basic. If at some point in the future you identify that you have specific requirements, consider upgrading then but until you know what you want a camera's a camera. The pictures I take with my 77D are higher resolution, but no better than the pictures I took with my 30D.

I'm so very glad that participating in the 52 challenge has led to your enthusiasm for this hobby, that is so wonderful to hear, and is a real reward for our efforts in running the site and the challenges. Thank you Sophie @Disney93 !
I can't offer advice on Canon kit as I'm a Nikon and Olympus shooter, but the comments above are a generic guide. If you can say what you've been using (your husbands camera) then it will help in recommending specific bodies, but I do agree with the advice about a 24-70 or even 24-120 or thereabouts.

...and now we are on the eve of the next theme and technique. I am starting to get into this!

Back