The solar eclipse in England, both overwhelming and underwhelming

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
The solar eclipse in England, both overwhelming and underwhelming at the same time.

An amazing moment in time - and there was no need for filters in the end to see the sun as the cloud cover (as predicted and as always expected) was almost total...

At least many of us will have seen an eclipse, for many the first, for most of us, the last, over England we will witness.

First an uncropped image, and the other a crop from a second image.

1024sun_no_crop.jpg

1024sun1.jpg

Paul.

Somewhat disappointing from my perspective. Not a patch on the amazing 1999 spectacle and, unfortunately, I'll be dead before the next one happens. Still, you can't have everything, eh! :D

You are very lucky Paul, Cloud cover down here was so bad that I didn't get to see it as per 16 years ago... maybe next time I can be in a place with clear skies. :D

Somewhat disappointing from my perspective. Not a patch on the amazing 1999 spectacle and, unfortunately, I'll be dead before the next one happens. Still, you can't have everything, eh! :D

Lunar eclipse on 28 Sep this year... when is the next solar eclipse can't seem to find the info.

Nice capture, Paul.
I watched it this morning, and amazing as it was as a phenomenon,, it was nothing to compare with 1999, When I watched it with my young Son at Lyn Elsi Betws y Coed. I have the feeling that this will be last one too, Stuart.

There's one next year. You're not dying that quickly are you?

Last edited:
That's over Iceland so I doubt if we'll see it here. 2090 is the next scheduled total eclipse over the UK and like I said, I'll definitely be pushing up daisies by then.

It's be a deep partial like today.
Nowhere in the UK got totality today either.

Just to point out that England doesn't finish North of Watford and we had really good weather where we were.

Even the 1999 total solar eclipse was cloudy in much of the West Country.

For those planning ahead and not making a date with the grim reaper, here are the future events around the globe.

http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/solar.html

The US might be a good place for eclipse chasers to go on holiday in a couple of years time.

Last edited:
Total cloud cover here on the South coast, so didn't see a thing (well, it got a little darker for a few minutes). However, I wasn't too disappointed because it was only a partial. Having had great views of the 2006 total eclipse in Turkey anything else is just, meh!

For those who really want to see a total eclipse (and it is one of the most amazing things I've ever experienced) then August 2017 is the time and the USA is the place. The path of totality crosses the whole country, from Oregon in the West to South Carolina in the East. At the moment we're looking at watching it from the Grand Tetons National Park - which is stuck on the bottom of Jellystone National Park - one place I've always wanted to visit since first watching Yogi Bear.

Back