The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

It looks a great lens but looking at WEX its over £1400, now I know the Canon and Nikon equivalents are as dear for their DSLR line up but when you've got the Sigma Art 35 f1.4 which is generally regarded as being better than those 2 for £650-£700 its a helluva lot of money.... come on Sigma make Full Frame FE Lenses.....

You beat me to the price thing and all I can add to what you've said is... Quite.

I don't know if the fe lens will be smaller but even if it is, twice the price?

I haven't used 35mm much as I tend to gravitate more to 50, then 85 and sometimes 28 but I must admit that I did like playing with my 35mm f1.8 the other day. Actually anything between 35 and 85 is pretty much ok for me, but I might just use that old 35mm a bit more.

Looking at my pictures from the other day I'm amazed that in this picture...

I can read the name on the side of that white wall pub in the background. The point of focus was the rail lift and it was only f8. IMVHO it's amazing resolution from a 24mp camera and an old SLR lens.

Last edited:
You beat me to the price thing and all I can add to what you've said is... Quite.

I don't know if the fe lens will be smaller but even if it is, twice the price?

I haven't used 35mm much as I tend to gravitate more to 50, then 85 and sometimes 28 but I must admit that I did like playing with my 35mm f1.8 the other day. Actually anything between 35 and 85 is pretty much ok for me, but I might just use that old 35mm a bit more.

Looking at my pictures from the other day I'm amazed that in this picture...

I can read the name on the side of that white wall pub in the background. The point of focus was the rail lift and it was only f8. IMVHO it's amazing resolution from a 24mp camera and an old SLR lens.

I'm always staggered by how good even "cheap" primes are - I was in Glasgow last night and mainly use my highly-rated Tamron 24-70 but I stuck the "cheapish" Nikon 35 f1.8 FX lens on and even viewing on the camera screen I could tell the prime was much sharper!

Keeping an eye on the rumoured announcement of the A7rii - I don't want one but hoping it will push used prices of the A7r down as I've half an eye to picking one up to give it a go alongside my D800, although its fair to say I'm torn between the better sensor of the Sony (to potentially replace the D800) or a Fuji which would be an accompaniment/backup.

As a rough conversion guide between m43 and 35mm, double the focal length and add 2 stops of aperture for DoF. So to get exact equivalents, you'd need a 24-80mm f5.6, 150mm f4, and 90mm f4.

The 24-70mm Zeiss would match the first, but to be honest the kit lens (28-70mm) is almost as good at a fraction of the price. The 70-200mm f4 covers both of the others.

For IBIS you'd need the A7II, otherwise the rest are all viable options. No A7 camera has dual slots. They all have plenty of dials (aperture, shutter speed, ISO, and exp. comp) and all the other stats look fine. I don't do much tracking AF or bulb use, so can't comment on that though.

If you do decide to go for an A7 one thing which should be a nice surprise is the boost in dynamic range.

I have a Panasonic GX7 which should be roughly comparable to your Oly and although I don't know what the bench test figures are in day to day reality the difference between the dynamic range of my GX7 and A7 is very noticeable.

Thank you both for taking the time to reply. The increased dynamic range is a major reason for considering a change. The fact that the kit lens is well regarded is likely to bring the purchase date forwards...

remmber if u go sony u can pick up capture one pro for 23quid, generaly considered better than lightroom, but lr6 is due very soon

I didn't see much difference with my Xt1 files. I've seen videos claiming CO is sharper straight out the gate but didn't see it myself. I think theres some propaganda around it to be fair.

ive heard its better than lr with xtrans files, like better de mosiacing, but i have no fuji stuff

but its abit like lr but different, very powerful but then u forget what options the guy did in that youtube tutorial and u sit and stare and poke at the wall of options xD

I have a passing interest in the Fuji system and have considered buying into it more than once but one of the couple of things that put me off are the oft reported mushy file issues which some people report. This may be a pixel peeping at 100%+ issue but I'm sure it's something that would play on my mind even if it wasn't a real world issue for me... Anyway, as I've had this passing interest I've read a few reports and blogs and... generalising... there seem to be reports that Adobe isn't the best way to get the absolute best results from Fuji files.

The thought of leaning a new package doesn't appeal to me but giving Adobe more money doesn't either... I felt royally shafted over issues I had when I had CS2 and feel royally shafted that they stopped updating CS5 soon after I paid £600 for it.

you can try capture one pro for 30 days, and express is free for sony users, but the sony version is for sony only raw files, and generic files like tiff and jpg

Epic!!!

http://www.zeiss.com/camera-lenses/en_de/website/landing_pages/batis.html
batis_stage_small.jpg

As a wild guess and based on US prices I would say £1299 for the Zeiss Batis 85mm f1.8

US prices as follows:-

USD1299 for the 25mm
USD1199 for the 85mm
(hoods not included - extra about $25)

More information and photos here....
http://www.newsshooter.com/2015/04/...5mm-f1-8-full-frame-autofocus-e-mount-lenses/
It also looks like the Zeiss Batis 85mm f1.8 has OSS too! :)

Zeiss Batis 25mm f2.0
PI_Batis_2-25-e1429692333105-478x600.jpg

Zeiss Batis 85mm f1.8
PI_Batis_1.8-85-e1429692372554-453x600.jpg

Last edited:
Golly Gosh! That is a shock! I wonder if we'll still see a Sony 85mm at some point?

So, what's missing? We have 25, 28, 2 x 35, 55 and 85mm and a 90mm macro. Have I missed anything? A 135mm maybe?

Ideally I'd like to see 24/25/28, 35, 50 and 85mm f1.4's and a 135mm, maybe f2.8? and a longer macro too but the AF range is starting to look very good even if some of the prices are a little eye watering when compared to the Sigma ART's.

Golly Gosh! That is a shock! I wonder if we'll still see a Sony 85mm at some point?

So, what's missing? We have 25, 28, 2 x 35, 55 and 85mm and a 90mm macro. Have I missed anything? A 135mm maybe?

Ideally I'd like to see 24/25/28, 35, 50 and 85mm f1.4's and a 135mm, maybe f2.8? and a longer macro too but the AF range is starting to look very good even if some of the prices are a little eye watering when compared to the Sigma ART's.

Id be very interested in seeing how the Zeiss 85 compares to the £350 Nikon 85 1.8G optically and wether the price is justified, I have no doubt it will be excellent though.

I'm mellowing as I age :D and these days I think that it's the whole image that matters and although these lenses will no doubt produce very nice whole images cheaper and indeed older lenses will still produce a nice image, a different one and not as technically good but still nice :D and as I keep saying I don't need lenses that are aiming to be amongst the very best mass market lenses you can buy. Being just good is enough for me :D

I'm still haven't decided what I'll do. I have the 55mm f1.8 and that's my most used focal length and for the casual but deliberate pictures I take my old manual 24/28, 35, 85 and 135mm lenses are ok and I can't convince myself that I need these new AF lenses, nice though they are. I need an AF 50mm... but I think I can manage with MF everything else.

Anyone tempted to buy these new lenses?

Last edited:
I am already drooling over the Zeiss Batis 85mm f1.8 :)
Optically if its as good if not better than the Sony Zeiss 55mm f1.8 and comes in under the £1199 mark they could be onto a winner. Imagine if the IQ is up there with the Otus? :eek:

Question to myself is, do I really need more lenses..... I seem to be lusting (GAS). :D

Currently have the following.

Sony Zeiss 27-70mm f4 OSS
Sony Zeiss 55mm f1.8
Sony G 70-200mm f4 OSS

Do I trade one of the above in for the Zeiss Batis 85mm mmmm
I am giving up my Fuji X100 collection to put towards my next FE lens...... :eek:

Anyone tempted to buy these new lenses?

I think Ill pass for a generation or two, at least till the A7xx has AF at least as good/better than the A6000 and they sort out a few other niggles. Hopefully by then the lenses eye watering launch prices will have dropped and there will be a decent used market.

Just had a thought... the Sony A7 system has come in for a lot of criticism but as the new bodies and especially the new lenses come along it's arguably getting ever more difficult to criticise.

What's left for the detractors to focus on... focus tracking? Focus speed? Bodies too small and lenses too big? Battery life? OVF's are soooomuch better than EVF's?

For my uses the A7 is a revelation and I think it's filling out into being a very attractive system.

I don't have any big issues with my A7, actually prefer its size and weight compared to the A7II.
Once Sony get more "Pro" level specifications like speed, AF, AF tracking, buffer etc, they can only gain more ground on competitors.

The only criticism towards Sony is that I feel they are neglecting the lower end of the market share (cheap Sony lenses), APS-C users and A-Mount loyalists, but this could change soon.

Just had a thought... the Sony A7 system has come in for a lot of criticism but as the new bodies and especially the new lenses come along it's arguably getting ever more difficult to criticise.

What's left for the detractors to focus on... focus tracking? Focus speed? Bodies too small and lenses too big? Battery life? OVF's are soooomuch better than EVF's?

For my uses the A7 is a revelation and I think it's filling out into being a very attractive system.

True, they are definitely sorting out the lens issue at a rapid rate. But yes, those things you mentioned are an issue for not just me but others (theres also the compressed RAW file thing), I dont mind the EVF though. Im sure Sony will iron these out over revisions, but for me its not quite there as a main system and I cant afford to run 2x complete high end systems even though Id love a A7r/s for the odd outing and travel.

Also agree with Rizvan regarding cheaper 'lower end' lens availability, seems Zeiss is doing the legwork for them when it comes to padding the lens line up.

Last edited:
The reason I mention these things is that IMVHO they're sometimes less real world issues than things which can be used as bragging rights or as a stick to beat the Sony system with. If people really truly honestly need top of the line tracking, light speed focus, lenses that are not available or honestly see real world issues with the raw's or anything else then fine... the system isn't for them but I suspect that the system is just fine for a lot of people, remembering that the DSLR systems that are demonstrably better than the Sony are possibly limited in number and selling in tiny numbers compared to the kit that most buy.

It was just a thought as I've read criticism in several threads from people who are possibly just more resistant to change and wanting to bash a new system rather than being affected by real world issues.

I've seen similar criticism of MFT... you can't get good DoF etc... Oh pleeeaaasssseee! :D

Last edited:
It was just a thought as I've read criticism in several threads from people who are possibly just more resistant to change and wanting to bash a new system rather than being affected by real world issues.

Agreed, I personally believe in trying gear before shooting it down unless their are glaring issues, the Sony system would be fine for most users that are looking for a cheap, small FF setup. Ive noticed a lot of people bashing CSCs and EVFs before even trying them. Advanced users can always look elsewhere and accept the issues other systems also bring and then weigh up the pro and cons, which there are in every system IME.

Lovely lenses, those.

In other news, I got my 55mm today! £465 brand new, chuffed to bits with that. :D

I got tickets to the Sony conference / photo exhibition in london but can't go tomorow due to work. Will go for the actual exhibition this weekend.

Gotta work to pay for these wonderful lenses.

Jealous. I'm heading to the U.S. in September for my honeymoon - hope to pick up a few things rather cheaply...

Did I read somewhere that Sigma are bringing out the 35mm (and other) Art lenses in FE mount?

Paying for the (expensive) Sony adapter and A mount version doesn't appeal to me, I would probably go for the Nikon version with my metabones adapter and focus manually.

I think Sigma are looking to develop FE lenses but not seen anything official yet.
If Sigma look at the rapid uptake on the FE system there is definitely money to be made.

Did I read somewhere that Sigma are bringing out the 35mm (and other) Art lenses in FE mount?

Paying for the (expensive) Sony adapter and A mount version doesn't appeal to me, I would probably go for the Nikon version with my metabones adapter and focus manually.

I don't think so yet, they said they were looking at it but hinted it may not be a straight conversion of the existing "art" line due to size and weight.

Just thought I'd compare the new Zeiss 85mm to the Sigma I used on my Canon DSLR's...

Zeiss 85mm f1.8.
Length - 92mm, Dia. - 81mm.
475g.

Sigma 85mm f1.4.
Length 87.6mm, Dia. - 86.4mm.
725g.
£650.

So, the new Zeiss is about the same size but much lighter. I'm surprised it's so light but I've checked the figures and I don't think I've made a mistake. How have they done that then? Voodoo? But there's the price... I assume it'll cost about the same here in £ as it does in $ so it'll be knocking on the door of £1,000? The Sigma 85mm was possibly the best AF lens I've ever used before I got the Sony 55mm and I'd be happy with an 85mm of the same quality in FE fit but that Sigma looks like a real bargain next to the new Zeiss, if the price ends up at around the £1,000 mark.

Just thought I'd compare the new Zeiss 85mm to the Sigma I used on my Canon DSLR's...

Zeiss 85mm f1.8.
Length - 92mm, Dia. - 81mm.
475g.

Sigma 85mm f1.4.
Length 87.6mm, Dia. - 86.4mm.
725g.
£650.

So, the new Zeiss is about the same size but much lighter. I'm surprised it's so light but I've checked the figures and I don't think I've made a mistake. How have they done that then? Voodoo? But there's the price... I assume it'll cost about the same here in £ as it does in $ so it'll be knocking on the door of £1,000? The Sigma 85mm was possibly the best AF lens I've ever used before I got the Sony 55mm and I'd be happy with an 85mm of the same quality in FE fit but that Sigma looks like a real bargain next to the new Zeiss, if the price ends up at around the £1,000 mark.

How do they do that? It's not a fair comparison, the 1.4 would naturally be bigger/heavier.

A much better comparison is the Nikon 1.8g.

3.1 in. (80 mm) x 2.9 in. (73 mm)
350g
£349

Sigmas primes are a real bargain so are the Nikkor 1.8g range.

Last edited:
I got tickets to the Sony conference / photo exhibition in london but can't go tomorow due to work. Will go for the actual exhibition this weekend.

Gotta work to pay for these wonderful lenses.

Rumored over at SAR that a new A7 might be announced today..... A7rii perhaps?

I wouldnt expect the A7R II to offer any significant leaps, most likely the same uplift in specification like the A7 to A7II.
Lets see if Sony will surprise us.
I think the Sony A9 will be the next big thing for FE, probably towards end of the year :)
Interesting times......

I wouldnt expect the A7R II to offer any significant leaps, most likely the same uplift in specification like the A7 to A7II.
I think the Sony A9 will be the next big thing for FE, probably towards end of the year :)
Interesting times......
Yea possibly.

Interesting times......

Yeah I'll be surprised if the A7rii is much more than a change in body and addition of IBIS too - I have read rumors elsewhere that the Olympus style Hi-Res mode could be brought into the A7ii later i but who knows!

Back