The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I'm almost stunned it justified a new rumour on that side to be honest!
Intrigued by the 50mp although I was hoping for 68mp at the very least, oh well ;-)

We'll obviously have to wait and see what comes and there do seem to have been a few false leads/dates but assuming that both a 36 and 50mp camera come I think that'll be a good thing as AFAIK the 36mp A7r was the best seller so it'd be a shame to see it dropped for a 50mp. Two new cameras must be a good thing and more choice has to be good.

We'll obviously have to wait and see what comes and there do seem to have been a few false leads/dates but assuming that both a 36 and 50mp camera come I think that'll be a good thing as AFAIK the 36mp A7r was the best seller so it'd be a shame to see it dropped for a 50mp. Two new cameras must be a good thing and more choice has to be good.

Nope, the A7s is the best seller.

Sony might be doing a cash back deal on the Sony A7S from 21st May (rumour).
Not sure I need one though.... :)

The rumor site is again saying that the A7rII is coming... sometime :D They say that 20 people have them for testing and that maybe it'll be released within a month. We'll see :D

Still not word on the high mp camera. Does it exist? Who knows...

I would say the Sony A8/9 high mp Pro level body will be announced in the later part of this year along with the A7S II.
Between now and then we should see the Sony A6### and A7R II.

:)

The rumor site is again saying that the A7rII is coming... sometime :D They say that 20 people have them for testing and that maybe it'll be released within a month. We'll see :D

Still not word on the high mp camera. Does it exist? Who knows...
A7r already has a large mp count!

After you spent all your money on another camera and lenses :D

50mp doesn't interest me but I suppose it'll be good for the system and so good for me in some other way.... maybe more lenses, who knows.

On me and the many cameras thing... what I've always wanted are digital replacements for the 35mm SLR and quality compacts and RF's that I used to have and in recent years it's become sort of possible. I now have an A7 which has replaced my 35mm SLR and I have MFT which has sort of replaced my quality compacts. I say sort of because although my GX7 is relatively small it's a lot heavier than the 35mm compacts I used to use. So, as I always wanted two cameras, SLR type and compact type... so having two relatively expensive and incompatible cameras doesn't really phase me too much as long as they are sort of complimentary.

Last edited:
Heads up folks, Sony are now offering upto £200 cash back.
Please check sony.co.uk site for full details. :)

Any thoughts on a sharp but cheap zoom for the A7. In the 200mm range.

Currently looking at the Nikon 70-210mm, considered the Minolta 70-210mm but would need a smart adapter for that.

Something in C/Y mount would be perfect since I'm using a c/y zeiss 50/1.7 at the moment.

I just bought a mint boxed A7 from LCE with just 509 shutter actuations these are becoming incredibly great value.

Last edited:
I just bought a mint boxed A7 from LCE with just 509 shutter actuations for £549, these are becoming incredibly cheap.

I think a lot of people will be going for the mkII's and the price of the last model is usually only going to go one way, down. In body IS is always nice but I can't say that I'm too bothered about the position of the shutter button which seems to irritate some people.

Great stuff Andy.

What other old lenses are you using?

I took this a few months ago with my Minolta 50mm f1.2 and I just love the way the lens has captured it. It's lovely and sharp in the centre and rolls away very nicely IMVHO and I'm very happy that everyone in the family who's seen it has asked for a copy :D

I think a lot of people will be going for the mkII's and the price of the last model is usually only going to go one way, down. In body IS is always nice but I can't say that I'm too bothered about the position of the shutter button which seems to irritate some people.

I actually tried the mkII at the airport the other week and I hated it. The feel and weight of the mkI is much better, and strangely, the shutter button placement on the mkII was more uncomfortable for me (I use back button focusing). If I didn't, i'd probably prefer the mkII.

Great stuff Andy.

What other old lenses are you using?

Hi Alan

I also have the Konica Hexanon 40mm f1.8 which is really good and the Helios 44/2 58mm f2 which I picked up for about £6 about 8 years ago. I also have a 50mm f2.8 Russian lens in M39 fit. Good lens but poor minimal focal distance.. I have ordered the Samyang 35mm f1.4 and am looking at a Nikon 20mm f2.8D for wide angle which will let me use my Lee filter system and big stopper which is my project for this year. If i see anything else good I will pick it up. I fancy collecting 35mm primes as it's my fave focal length and every legacy lens has it's own character.

I am stunned. At least when I buy back in ill get a dirt cheap a7s and hopefully some lenses that don't cost the earth as my walkaround toy.
True, plus you'll probably be able to pick up the new adapter to convert E mount to new mount system.

I actually tried the mkII at the airport the other week and I hated it. The feel and weight of the mkI is much better, and strangely, the shutter button placement on the mkII was more uncomfortable for me (I use back button focusing). If I didn't, i'd probably prefer the mkII.

Same here. Though tried it in WEX. It was heavier than I expected, and bulkier. I'll be keeping the A7 for now.

Does anyone use e mount lenses on their bodies? I am just curious if I put the sel50mm F1.8 and use in crop mode I will get a 12mp file. I also presume this will give me roughly a 75mm f2.2 equivalent. If I use the same lens not in crop mode I know it will have heavy vignette. But will it be true F1.8?

It will be true 1.8 in FF mode.

I use the 10-18mm It seems nice enough.

DSC01443.jpg

A view in the rain by Carl Michael, on Flickr

The last was taken in torrential rain, so that robs it of some sharpness.

It'll be f1.8 for exposure. The crop factor is for field of view and equivalent depth of field not exposure. Soz if you know this already :D either way my advice it to forget about DoF equivalence.

Thanks for the info. I am used to having a 50mm for day to day and low light shooting but with me going for the
70-200 f4 I can't afford the zeiss 55mm f1.8 at the same time. So I will probably get the sel50mm F1.8. I know I have a world of legacy glass to explore. I just need something good for indoors to snap the kids so the sel50mm F1.8 should do the trick on both the a7 and be great on the a6000. ( just had to go all in with sony so couldn't resist the a6000 machine gun from amazon warehouse for £350 with 16-50.)
It's great because I can justify my 70-200 f4 purchase now because really I am getting two lenses for the price of one. Well that's how I tell it to my wife!

Last edited:
I
Same here. Though tried it in WEX. It was heavier than I expected, and bulkier. I'll be keeping the A7 for now.
I haven't tried one but I like the position of the shutter on the normal a7, it's like every film slr/rangefinder camera ever made- absolutely no problem hitting it, shutter button is a little mushy though I will admit

Just had the Zeiss rep in to show us the Batis lenses. Very simple design, not too heavy and as sharp as a very sharp thing pretending to be even sharper. The focus distance scale is digital which you can see in feet and/or meters. Worth a look at they are not overly expensive.

There is also a Zeiss App where you can see the range and look at example images plus distortion comparisons. The Batis lenses are not on the app yet but will be in due corse

Last edited:
Back