Tutorial The ultimate HDR method (Photoshop CC only)

Welcome.

Interestingly, some of my 'negatives' from this exercise were just over 1GB in size ... D810.

{Edit} This I guess as a result of some additional processing before flattening the image, hence creating 5 x processed images in the 'negative'?

Last edited:
Tried it today.

Excellent.

On the very few occasions where I feel I need hdr I have been using Photomatix.

Not any more.

Cheers.

I tried it to great effect and have also just discovered you can do virtually the same thing in LR, I believe it lacks some of the options but creates monster latitude files based on the originals just like PS. I found that on default settings it produced slightly nicer results than PS and saved the importing/exporting - nifty feature I have to say and now actually gives me a reason to use a tripod.

Yesterday's CC update seems to have broken the process ... after selecting 'Tone in ACR' the process fails to complete and open in ACR stating that it 'Could not complete due to a programme error'.

Yesterday's CC update seems to have broken the process ... after selecting 'Tone in ACR' the process fails to complete and open in ACR stating that it 'Could not complete due to a programme error'.
I'm experiencing the same issue, Gramps. Are you aware of a way to fix this?

I'm experiencing the same issue, Gramps. Are you aware of a way to fix this?

Steve there is no official fix (I'm the only one who Adobe have ever heard of with the problem!) but there are a couple of work-arounds ... #2 worked fine for me but of course I lost the latest updates to Photoshop and ACR.
  1. Setup a new Admin User account and try to use that account to access Photoshop.
  2. Roll-back Photoshop to Version 2015.0.0 (through CC Desktop) and ACR to 9.4 ( http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2016/01/camera-raw-9-4-now-available.html ) ... you cannot roll-back to ACR 9.4 whilst using Photoshop Version 2015.1.2

Steve there is no official fix (I'm the only one who Adobe have ever heard of with the problem!) but there are a couple of work-arounds ... #2 worked fine for me but of course I lost the latest updates to Photoshop and ACR.
  1. Setup a new Admin User account and try to use that account to access Photoshop.
  2. Roll-back Photoshop to Version 2015.0.0 (through CC Desktop) and ACR to 9.4 ( http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2016/01/camera-raw-9-4-now-available.html ) ... you cannot roll-back to ACR 9.4 whilst using Photoshop Version 2015.1.2
Cheers - I'll give option 2 a try! :)

Thanks for this, great tutorial and I've found very useful indeed.

A question if I may though. I understand the process with a single bracketed shot but what if I was planning on doing a HDR panoramic of say 4 photos wide.

I'm assuming I take my 5 bracketed shots for part 1, 2, 3 and 4.
Go the HDR process for part 1 then the other parts.
And then I merge into a panorama?

But do I merge them in 32bit or 16bit?

Thanks in advance for any advice offered. I'm a novice with photoshop! :)

What ever happened to the link for this, it doesn't seem to work anymore?

Back