The virus. PPE. Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
No point trying to answer such a ridiculous question, you know full well what I am saying.

Ask a (what I thought was a reasonable) question that's all.

Paranoia seems to be running rife in the White House

'The acting White House chief of staff says US media is stoking a coronavirus panic because they hope it will take down President Donald Trump.

"The reason they are paying so much attention to it today is that they think this is going to bring down the president," Mick Mulvaney said.

Speaking to a group of conservatives on Friday, he added people should ignore the media in order to calm the markets.'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51667670

Toni (ancient_mariner) sounds like he is knowledgeable ............... Can this virus pose an airborne risk ?
I know that precautions are being taken at some medical centres, but have read that the evidence is not conclusive. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Not sure I know more than has been made public so far, that the primary route is through droplets and physical contact: spraying when sneezing or talking closely, plus contact with liquids/residues on hands and surfaces. It's not meant to be carried in fine aerosols like Influenza.

There was someone on the radio Wednesday night talking about transmission rates being much higher than for flu (based on numbers of new cases vs known infected individuals) and I can only think that there's a lot of asymptomatic infected individuals around in the areas where its taken hold who are spreading the disease unwittingly.

Again based on a radio 4 interview this evening, mortality rates seem apparently very low still at 1% - SARS was 10% and MERS 30+%. The biggest fear is of the unkown - the progress of this agent through our populations is hard to predict, and there's little herd immunity built up yet. Hopefully this will be like the common cold, to which it's a little related, and not cause any serious, lasting harm.

There seems to be an irrational reaction to what appears to be a low fatality rate in this case. Is this just media hype or is there a worry as yet unsaid publicly that this virus might mutate into something far more deadly, something akin to Spanish flu which wiped out the young. I would imagine that would worry Government far more than a bunch of oldies dieing, which if we are being callous would help the Exchequer far more than a wipe out of the young.
Just seems to me that the stock market crash is a massive over reaction, the media scaremongering etc all seems a bit "orchestrated".

^ and talk about a hit to the global economy/commerce ~ ouch!

Reactions: MDR
Not sure I know more than has been made public so far, that the primary route is through droplets and physical contact: spraying when sneezing or talking closely, plus contact with liquids/residues on hands and surfaces. It's not meant to be carried in fine aerosols like Influenza.

There was someone on the radio Wednesday night talking about transmission rates being much higher than for flu (based on numbers of new cases vs known infected individuals) and I can only think that there's a lot of asymptomatic infected individuals around in the areas where its taken hold who are spreading the disease unwittingly.

Again based on a radio 4 interview this evening, mortality rates seem apparently very low still at 1% - SARS was 10% and MERS 30+%. The biggest fear is of the unkown - the progress of this agent through our populations is hard to predict, and there's little herd immunity built up yet. Hopefully this will be like the common cold, to which it's a little related, and not cause any serious, lasting harm.

Thanks Toni, very useful.

said, inter alia :-

"Just seems to me that the stock market crash is a massive over reaction, the media scaremongering etc all seems a bit "orchestrated".

Yes, and orchestrated is a polite terminology.
Who benefits from a falling market - those that are waiting for a fall to make purchases at greatly discounted prices.

What if in reality it is man made ,and six months down the line the Chinese are going to find a miracle cure but we got to pay lots for it hmmmm

What if in reality it is man made ,and six months down the line the Chinese are going to find a miracle cure but we got to pay lots for it hmmmm
That would be funny if I didn't fear that many of the tin foil hat persuasion would believe it... :runaway:

Seeing as most of the infected and dead are in China, I don't think the rest of us are really that concerned.

Ok, so it's not likely to spread then?
What a stupid thing to say....
Did I say that? No.
But why would the Chinese create the virus to hold the rest of the world to ransom if it is their own country suffering the highest impact, not just in terms of infection and death, but economically as well.

Untitled-1.jpg

Did I say that? No.
But why would the Chinese create the virus to hold the rest of the world to ransom if it is their own country suffering the highest impact, not just in terms of infection and death, but economically as well.
They've got to make sure it has the desired affect, and make it look like it's not man made :)

Oh no gloucestshire is now under quarantine then . .... are there any places there to hide ... up here we have a ex military mustard gas factory and where they developed the atomic bomb in WW2 big bomb proof anti radiation doors to ,might go and hide in the caves there and not come out for six months
Oh yes I know where you mean not far from me

the secret valley :runaway::runaway::runaway::runaway:

Oh no gloucestshire is now under quarantine then . .... are there any places there to hide ... up here we have a ex military mustard gas factory and where they developed the atomic bomb in WW2 big bomb proof anti radiation doors to ,might go and hide in the caves there and not come out for six months

Atomic bomb was developed at Los Alamos, New Mexico. Is your local press been feeding everyone porkies ? :coat:

Oh, you fell for the cover story huh?
nope the bomb was MADE at los alamos , it was DEVELOPED /DESIGNED in north Wales in high secrecy the labs are still standing to a degree , there are lots of working outs scrawled on the walls in pencil to this day for all to see .. the workers /scientists were brought in by train every day and then had to strip and change into protective clothing they were not allowed any paper or pens on site .
the site is on three levels open air ground level and two levels of caves both natural and man made .the blast doors still have the danger radioactivity signs on them and are restricted access I know for a fact one of the lower caves goes off the scale on a Geiger counter .
it was also where unknown to the general public we were producing mustard gas ordinance right up to the 1960's yep after it was banned ... and due to the lack of paper or pens the have lost somewhere in the region of 250,000 tons of mustard gas bombs on site ..

nope the bomb was MADE at los alamos , it was DEVELOPED /DESIGNED in north Wales in high secrecy the labs are still standing to a degree , there are lots of working outs scrawled on the walls in pencil to this day for all to see .. the workers /scientists were brought in by train every day and then had to strip and change into protective clothing they were not allowed any paper or pens on site .
the site is on three levels open air ground level and two levels of caves both natural and man made .the blast doors still have the danger radioactivity signs on them and are restricted access I know for a fact one of the lower caves goes off the scale on a Geiger counter .
it was also where unknown to the general public we were producing mustard gas ordinance right up to the 1960's yep after it was banned ... and due to the lack of paper or pens the have lost somewhere in the region of 250,000 tons of mustard gas bombs on site ..

I've no idea why you're lecturing me. I was A) talking about development and B) making a joke.

I'm intrigued to know what, if any, impact it has had on China's CO2 emissions.
Not CO2 emissions, but according to NASA, because China's industrial activity has been low, there has been a significant reduction in the country's Nox emissions.

I don’t believe the man made/conspiracy part but I seem to remember China did something like that with a recent new strain of influenza — ie withholding details in the hope of beating everyone else to a vaccine and profiting thereby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back