The wifes Ixus..... It's as noisey as hell

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
About 3 or 4 years ago I bought the Mrs a 3MP Ixus (Ixus II I think) mainly because of the size so she could keep it in her bag.

I have to say that it's one of the worst cameras I've ever used as the images are all so noisy. Thing is, I can't work out why. Even at ISO 100 and mid aperture in good light the results are poor. We hardly ever use it now (although it came in useful when somebody ran into her car a couple of years ago!).

Has anybody experienced this before with the Ixus, and can somebody suggest a nice smallish but decent point and shoot that I can get her for her Birthday to replace it ?

Any help gratefully accepted.

Steve

IXUS 75 I have is pretty good with noise handling. It aint perfect but cant say I have had any problems with 100-400 ISO - over that and it starts to noticably creep in.

Another vote for the ixus75 here, noise is noticeable but doesn't ruin the photos in anyway. great little camera with a lovely screen :)

The Fuji F30 is ace in low light.. no noise even at 800! And has aperture priority and shutter priority too. (y)

Did it used to be that bad or is it something new that you have noticed on the Ixus?

Sony DSC T50, great little camera, but at iso 400 and above the picture starts to be noisy, but in normal use its fantastic for point and shoot

The Ixus 75 I bought in HK is great, the 2GB Sandisk card that came with it, and crashed (with 200 honeymoon picks on it) is less so!! :) :(

I've been having another look at some of the pictures. They're actually not as bad as I first thought, but I was comparing them to similar from my Olympus C5050Z, and I think that it's more to do with the great quality of the 5050, rather than the performance of the Ixus.

I think my answer is to buy a 40D, and let her have my 350, that way she's also got a decent camera, and I can get a better one. :LOL:

Steve

Back