The Wind Just Killed My Tamron.

Edit My Images
No
My mammoth photography mission which started at 6.45am this morning and involved me cycling around Ishigaki island collecting photographs for my site ( www.ishigaki-japan.com ) ended on a very final note when the wind took hold of my tripod while I was chatting to some very nice Japanese tourists.

Seeing part of your lens still attached to your camera and the other part lying on the floor near it isn't a pretty site, and not one which I'd recommend that any of you go through. My favorite lens was attached at the time (Tamron 17-50mm Di II)....indispensible really.

While the cables have been cut I thought I could use it as a manual, however, the zoom no longer seems to work - it appears to be stuck. If I can release it then I'll glue the housing back together and hope for the best. Does anybody have any ideas? Commiserations welcome if not.

Dead Tamron.JPG

Dead Tamron 2.JPG

This was the last photo which it took...R.I.P, it has served me well over the years.

Last Photo.JPG

ooo nasty :(... Interesting (yet expensive) way to see the internal workings though :)

jay

Not sure if this is any help to you, but Warehouse Express have some of these in their bargain basement at the moment. Hope it's OK to post that.

Thanks guys,

Actually, I just checked Amazon.co.jp and it's been reduced (making it about the same price as it is in the UK now - the Yen is so strong at the moment).

It was a great lens by the way, and I'd be happy to replace it with another. However, I did buy it a couple of years ago now so I'm wondering if there are any other alternatives which I should consider. Suggestions welcome, although Sigma is out due to quality control concerns.

The timing of the break was actually as good as it could have been. I've been collecting photos for about 3 months now and that was the final photo on the final day. A month ago and it would have been a major concern as I'd be trying to take landscape shots with macro!

This is a dilemma I'm currently faced with. I can assure you you wouldn't go wrong with another Tamron. It depends on budget really. I like the look of the Nikon 16-85 but can't justify the extra expense when the Tamron and others give just as good results.

Come payday I will definitely be getting one.

Absolutely. I'm just taking a look around now but it seems that in terms of resolution Tamron is still offering the best standard zoom - which is great if you don't mind the noise which it produces.

I'm a little disappointed though. I'd hoped that Tamron may have replaced the lens with a newer version, at least that way I wouldn't be getting exactly the same thing for my £300.00....ahhhh, why did I turn my back on that tripod? Could have been worse though. A few moments before the thing was teetering on the edge of a cliff.

I had one before and wasn't happy with the image sharpness. The noise didn't really bother me, focusing wasn't as quick as the other lens but hey ho, you can't have everything. Well, you can, but you'll pay a lot more.

I think the fact they haven't changed it or brought out another version is a good thing.

Not happy with the sharpness...I've not heard that before with respect to this lens. Having said that, lenses vary from sample to sample. Plus, people simply have different preferences.

I've just found this shot from today - going through about 300 at the moment. One for the site for sure.

Kabira.JPG

Not happy with the sharpness...I've not heard that before with respect to this lens. Having said that, lenses vary from sample to sample. Plus, people simply have different preferences.

I've just found this shot from today - going through about 300 at the moment. One for the site for sure.

Kabira.JPG

Wonderful shot. Amazing contrast. Do you have a larger version of that by any chance?

Is it not repairable? What parts are actually broken? As it is already broken its not really a risk trying to repair it if the glass etc are ok

My house insurance covers my camera gear away from home, this was clearly accidental damage so I would feel fine about making a claim.

No insurance I'm afraid. Actually, it was quite funny. I finally got the zoom function to work and thought that I could use it without the AF if I was to glue it back together without the severed cables. Then I realised....what the hell am I going to do about aperature and shutter control? Funny how moments like this can have an adverse affect on the ability to think clearly.

This thing is clearly dead. I'm ordering a new one.

The phrase for the day is...'never turn your back on your tripod in the wind'. Doesn't roll off the tongue very well does it....well, my lens didn't roll that well either. The 50D lives though, thank goodness.

I left my Tamron SP AF 24-135mm on a table a few months ago next to some window shutters on a windy day. You can guess what happened next, the wind caught the shutter which blew open knocking the lens on to a concrete floor.
Sent it to intro 2020 last week and quote came back this morning for £108 incl vat.

Not worth repairing .. can get a new one on Ebay for not much more.
Gutted really as it was my first ever lens and an excellent performer.

You know what, this is the second big fall which the lens has sustained. The first time it was knocked off a table onto a hard floor in a restaurant and it survived (athough it did develop a small rattle). This time it landed on grass.

This was actually the second accident I had today. The first involved my Manfrotto tripod getting caught on a tree branch as I rode beneath on my bike. The tripod and the ball head was torn from the back of my Lowepro computrekker backpack - tearing all of the elastic. The head is slightly damaged now.....I'd almost forgotton about this given the incident with the lens.

I need to be more careful.

You know what, this is the second big fall which the lens has sustained. The first time it was knocked off a table onto a hard floor in a restaurant and it survived (athough it did develop a small rattle). This time it landed on grass.

This was actually the second accident I had today. The first involved my Manfrotto tripod getting caught on a tree branch as I rode beneath on my bike. The tripod and the ball head was torn from the back of my Lowepro computrekker backpack - tearing all of the elastic. The head is slightly damaged now.....I'd almost forgotton about this given the incident with the lens.

I need to be more careful.

I think you need to go home and right off today, not go anywhere else with any other equipment - so hopefully nothing else goes wrong for you (y)

Kabira.JPG

Wish I was there, looks amazing :clap:

Yeah, that's Kabira Bay - an idyllic spot which is situated on the north west of Ishigaki island. It's an idyllic spot which tourists love. Most of those boats are glass-bottomed so that you can see the ocean passing below.

Actually there are other spots which I prefer, mainly due to the fact that there are less tourists, plus, you can't swim at Kabira due to the strong currents, jelly fish and boats. In terms of hanging by the beach I love this place...

http://www.ishigaki-japan.com/sunsetbeach

Sorry to keep on plugging my site...then again, it's not like I make any money out of it.

Back