Theatrical Headshots

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been asked to do some headshots for an actor to include in their portfolio. I'm more than happy to oblige but not having provided such shots before is there certain style that is required?
I'll be doing some research of my own, but if anyone can provide links to useful websites or work I'd be grateful.
thanks

Mark(y)

If they want traditional formal actors headshots then yes there are expectations. I don't shoot them personally but as far as I know, for UK, its black and white, plain grey background, include head and some shoulder, usually one very static, one smiley, and one a bit less formal.

The formula is different around the world, in the states they tend to be colour and mostly outdoors.

Someone may be able to state more exactly what you need, but that's certainly my understanding of them

Thank you, I had a feeling there would be a formula:rules:

Very much so, I was given that information by an actress who'd just left a performing arts college in London and that's what they were told, so I guess they know what they need better than anyone else.

I know you specifically said head shots however most I have spoken to also said they needed a full length shot and all in both colour and mono.

Thanks all, I have asked the client for more info and she is going to get back to me.
I'll check out the library too, need to go there anyway.

Thanks Daryl will check those links out.(y)

You need a copy of, I think it's called, Spotlight. It's a twice a year or so book of actors headshots and biographies. It's printed locally (MPG Biddles), but I don't know who for. They are all black and white, and from memory almost all head and shoulders shots under an almost identical lighting style.

I've found a guide here.

Thanks for the links folks, plenty of ideas for styles in there.
I'll see if the actor in question has any copies of spotlight too.

Go on to the Spotlight website - there is a page there with their requirements for headshots. Shoot in colour - but the main Spotlight headshot is b/w for some reason - the others can be in colour. The actor must be themselves in all shots - i.e. NOT try to be in any character apart from their own. If this is a pro actor the pictures will be used by casting agencies so what they see in your pic must be exactly what they are going to get in the flesh.

Back