These any good?

Edit My Images
No
Messing about in the garden this week whilst dodging snowballs. Have only just started with macro stuff and your C & C is welcome :)

These were handheld and I shake like anything :LOL:

Ive made my own judgement so will be interesting to see what you think :)

No.1

IMG_8918.jpg

No.2

IMG_8917.jpg

No.3
IMG_8923.jpg

No.4
IMG_8925.jpg

No.5
IMG_8914.jpg

No.6
IMG_8912.jpg

Number 1 is awesome, the drops have been captured superbly with great DoF.

Like the composition of number 2 and the capture and focus on the middle drop.

Prefer the background in 3 (wonderful colour) and flower in 4 (great composition)

Number 6 is also outstanding, with the detail on the bud and the snow

Fantastic set (y)

No1 needs some added contrast. Nice and sharp and decent composition but lacks any real interest. Move around and see if there is a better looking reflection in the small water droplet.Light looks pretty flat and this is the main problem. That said 1 is the best of them.

No2 Isn't very interesting - Composition is poor. The stalk cuts the image in half.

No3 & No4 are similar. They show good control over the depth of field but the plant isn't very interesting.

No5 & No6 are similar also although 5 is not sharp and the composition is uninteresting.
6 is well similar. I don't see what you tried other than to get an image of snow on a small bud. Poor light won't help you.

If you are new, they are decent starter shots. Read up about composition and you will improve.

Look to add some contrast when processing your images too.

My report.... Good try. Has potential :)
Regards
Jim

Well thank you Defiance...although theres a few things Im not happy about. This macro stuff is not easy at all!!

No1 needs some added contrast. Nice and sharp and decent composition but lacks any real interest. Move around and see if there is a better looking reflection in the small water droplet.Light looks pretty flat and this is the main problem. That said 1 is the best of them.

No2 Isn't very interesting - Composition is poor. The stalk cuts the image in half.

No3 & No4 are similar. They show good control over the depth of field but the plant isn't very interesting.

No5 & No6 are similar also although 5 is not sharp and the composition is uninteresting.
6 is well similar. I don't see what you tried other than to get an image of snow on a small bud. Poor light won't help you.

If you are new, they are decent starter shots. Read up about composition and you will improve.

Look to add some contrast when processing your images too.

My report.... Good try. Has potential :)
Regards
Jim

Thanks Jim...some of your comments were as I thought. I know I have lots to learn and I value what youve said (y)

Thanks Jim...some of your comments were as I thought. I know I have lots to learn and I value what youve said (y)

Macro photography is not easy. Learning how to see in macro is quite challenging. Look at other people's work and try out on more subjects.

Walking around shooting handheld can be tough. I use the 100 macro and you need decent light to get good results.

A tripod is ideal if you can use one.

Depth of field is extremely tight at close range. I bought the 100 f2.8 but don't use it much except for a few detail shots at weddings. I'd love to do more with it though :)

What software do you use for processing? With No1 I tried Photoshop. Duplicated the layer and changed the top layer blending mode to Soft Light ..... Added some nice contrast to the image.

Keep practicing and you can only improve.

Cheers
Jim

Its a 100mm 2.8 Rozza

Jim: I used LR although still trying to improve my processing skills. I know I should of used my tripod too. I have been recommended a ringflash on my previous macro post, which should sort out some lighting issues!

I always say I should have used a Tripod when I didn't :)

Ringflash is nice for macro photography - expensive but nice.

The 100 is an awesome lens.... I love mine. - Not really macros but a great lens

Chatelerhault_1.jpg

Organic-Fireworks.jpg

They are georgeous! Did you use a ringflash for these?

No :) Natural light. And it was bright!

One thing youre images lack is colour (other than green). Look or colours in foreground or in the background. Both were with the 100 macro at f2.8 I think

#1 and #6 for me Pat

All good shots but those two have the edge with sharpness - I have the same lens and have just invested in a ringflash so looking forward to some try outs

If these were handheld they are bloody good attempts :eek: - I normally do all this kind of stuff on a tripod!

No :) Natural light. And it was bright!

One thing youre images lack is colour (other than green). Look or colours in foreground or in the background. Both were with the 100 macro at f2.8 I think

Good point to bear in mind (y)

#1 and #6 for me Pat

All good shots but those two have the edge with sharpness - I have the same lens and have just invested in a ringflash so looking forward to some try outs

If these were handheld they are bloody good attempts :eek: - I normally do all this kind of stuff on a tripod!

Thanks for your comments

I know there are faults with all of them and a few more have been pointed out too! What a learning curve this all is eh? :help:

What ringflash have you got then? This has been recommended to me, which I was planning on getting shortly.:)

Others have already covered it but well done.
No.1 is a cracker, especially as you're hand-held.
Play with aperture settings for depth of field, set your 400D to mirror lock-up, if you can find a tripod try timer shutter release, pop the flash up, (And yes, a ring flash will be more effective than the built-in one), use manual focus and just play, play, play.
The good thing about plants and flowers is that you don't have to chase them round the garden!

Others have already covered it but well done.
No.1 is a cracker, especially as you're hand-held.
Play with aperture settings for depth of field, set your 400D to mirror lock-up, if you can find a tripod try timer shutter release, pop the flash up, (And yes, a ring flash will be more effective than the built-in one), use manual focus and just play, play, play.
The good thing about plants and flowers is that you don't have to chase them round the garden!

Whats mirror lock up then?

I took these at F8 this time so as not to show my dusty sensor :( and manual focus. It didnt take me long to realise that autofocus is a total no no!

I may do a retake this weekend with my tripod too :)

Back