These latest Raptors are fast. (Hard Drives)

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
No
Jeebus I remember when read & write was under 10 Mb/sec when I started..

Now look at the latest 160Gb Raptor as a single drive.. :eek:

Raptest.jpg

kin ell

Different program..:eek:

HD-Tach.jpg

And newer version too.

HD-Tach-new%20version.jpg

Out of curiosity I tested my drives.

They seem to be performing quite well.....or yours isn't so fast? Not sure I'm reading this right but here are the tests (just the one program)

My C drive - a Seagate ATA that is quite old now

60gb.jpg

My Raid stripe of two 160GB maxtor SATAs - a couple of years old.

raid.jpg

And a 200 Gb WD ATA which I'd guess was 18 months old.

200gb.jpg

Planning to re-install with a new 300Gb Seagate ATA as the boot drive when I get round to it.

Your Raptor might be quick but i just tested my 2x80Gb SATA2 Stripe RAID setup.

Tadaaaa! :D (y)
hdtach.jpg

Interesting, I've got a SATA2, normal SATA and an IDE in this machine, they're all running about 51-55 MBs.

Now that is fast.

Having done the same as you (?) I then remembered alt-prt screen will paste only the active window to the clipboard...so you don't have to crop off the background :)

Actually looking at it again ppp it's not that fast if the red bar is the memory cache on the drive giving that speed?

Actually looking at it again ppp it's not that fast if the red bar is the memory cache on the drive giving that speed?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No thats the burst data throughput of the drives, so it is that fast at burst data speed, and you will notice the sequential read data rates are much higher as well.

well worth knowing about the print screen. thank you.

Just checked and it can't be the cache only affecting speed, as it is only 8mb on each of my drives, the new raptor has 16mb, your Western Digital and Seagate is 2mb. Don't know what your RAID is but even if they were 2mb and not 8mb i can't see that accounting for a 109mb/s vs a 365mb/s, it is deffo down to throughput of data which is obviously helped by cache.

I've not looked at this kind of stuff for years so i could well be wrong but I was comparing my raid to yours ppp. Your graph is 20% ish higher but the red bar is 3 times higher - thats what stands out.

RobertP said:
I've not looked at this kind of stuff for years so i could well be wrong but I was comparing my raid to yours ppp. Your graph is 20% ish higher but the red bar is 3 times higher - thats what stands out.
I haven't done any of this for a while either but that does look strange, have you tried running it again for a check reading?

I think the extra burst speed comes down to the SATA2 which is 300mbps vs SATA which is 150mbps and the NCQ that SATA2 offers makes the drives much quicker, coupled with the extra cache all helps. My 2x160gb SATA2 RAID stripe that i have for my data drive in the system heralds nearly the same speed as well. Of course the RAID controller may make a difference as well.

I have run quick and long test on both arrays twice and the results are within 10MB/s for the first and second tests.

I can always try a different program if you want to check. It may be the program. What is the raptor test program you used in the first post? could you send it to me at andrew.boon@gmail.com and i can check it with that as well.

Just repeated it with the 'long bench' option. Took longer but result was pretty similar.

RobertP said:
Out of curiosity I tested my drives.

They seem to be performing quite well.....or yours isn't so fast?

It would help if I tested the correct drive..:geek:

What a plonker I am, Try the Raptor this time..:LOL:

raptor-drive-test.jpg

Ah thats why, I was a bit miffed by the designation ST on a Western Digitial drive:bonk:

Find them to be very good drives - not used the 160Gb version yet (cant afford it since getting into this photography lark), but have 74Gb and 36Gb versions in my machines and find them to be excellent for performance and reliability.(y)

Warspite said:
but have 74Gb and 36Gb versions in my machines and find them to be excellent for performance and reliability.(y)

The best Hard Drives on the market IMO..:)

Marianne said:
is this a boy's thread?

Come in and close the door Marianne.;)

Now then lets see how fast your hard drive goes..:nuts:

ooher! Not quite sure what you mean Tim ;) .....I don't understand why you blokes find all this techy stuff so interesting, as long as the pc works I'm happy....

ppp said:
What is the raptor test program you used in the first post? could you send it to me at andrew.boon@gmail.com and i can check it with that as well.

Stunned at the speed your raid set-up delivers mate..:eek:

Raptor test now sent to your address.(y)

Lets see how that sizes them up..:)

[EDIT]

Your mail is bouncing Andrew, Can you PM me a different address so I can mail you this program to test.

Yeah my Raid is rapid!

Sorted mate, recevied the raptor test to the other address.

PMSL at Busterboy!

Will post results when i get home...:exit:

Sorry for delay have had difficulty getting test running and was out last night. I can't seem to get it to test the array to its full potential, my results come back as just over 40mb/s for read and write on c drive, yet d drive tests as 106mb/s read and 97mb/s write. So not quite sure why it can't test the c drive properly as the drives are only the 80gb equivalent of the 160's i am running for d drive.

Having said that the average read speed for D drive certainly agrees roughly with the HD Tach sequential read speed so i am happy with that. I think the raptors cache helps with sequential read as well. I would certainly love to see two new raptors on RAID but can't afford at the mo. Used to run two old raptors before i got the SATA2 and they were quicl, but not as quick as the SATA2.

P.S thanks for sending the test.

Back