Things are moving

Name
Janice
Edit My Images
Yes
A friend of mine who was in "The Calendar" (MIss November to be precise!) has emailed me today and said that a friend of hers who is in advertising in London was impressed and wants my email address and website and wants to know my prices!!

What the devil do I say if she wants me to shoot something for advertising etc...i have no idea of prices. :shrug:

I can only tell you that when my company purchases a photo and has unlimited reproduction rights it costs us about £300 for the one photo. That is not for product placement though it is for advertising and stuff. NOt sure if that helps at all.

Damnation! I have just had an email from this lady and she wants to do a calendar of her department. blast! I thought she might need my services for the advertising!!

She wants costs for the calendar........I did the last one for nothing as the family are members of the cricket club. Goodness knows what I will charge her. By the time I have to go to London a few times to get all 12 shots....it will hardly be worth it, seeing as calendars are only about £4 each!!:thumbsdown:

Damnation! I have just had an email from this lady and she wants to do a calendar of her department. blast! I thought she might need my services for the advertising!!

She wants costs for the calendar........I did the last one for nothing as the family are members of the cricket club. Goodness knows what I will charge her. By the time I have to go to London a few times to get all 12 shots....it will hardly be worth it, seeing as calendars are only about £4 each!!:thumbsdown:

Put the price up and claim a daily NUJ rate £80.00 and expenses as a starting point.

At least ask her what she wants to pay?!?!?!

Couple of options Janice:thinking:

1) As has already been said, ask what the budget is and work within that to earn as much profit as possible. If what they want to pay is too low, then don't do it but do explain why you won't be able to

2) Work out how much it would cost you to do, based on a maximum 3 trips (1 pre shoot, 1 shoot, 1 post) then mark up according to how much you think it's worth, based on competition and how much you need to earn a day (or hour or whatever) to cover your time, travel etc.

At the end of the day you don't want to be out of pocket and this is a personal service you're offering for a special 1 off item

Sure, they could take some snaps and put them on photobox and order a calendar that way, but it wouldn't be professionally done and that's the difference

Let us know how you get on

PRB
:)

P.S. When can I come to dinner to meet Miss November

R......Miss September was my fav when you originally posted and still is :love:

She didnt have a stitch on!!! LOL

Ive just discovered the lady that wants me to do the calendar of her department ......ive checked her email address and she works for the National Magazine Company....which produce, Harpers Bazaar, Cosmopolitan, Good Housekeeping, Esquire, Country Living..... shall i go on?

Perhaps I should do it......you never know what may follow.

Speculate to accumulate, Janice, and as we all know it ain't what you know, it's who you know!

Speculate to accumulate, Janice, and as we all know it ain't what you know, it's who you know!

You're right I think. Ive told her a rough figure of £150 and a friend of mine said "thats not nearly enough, it will take you all day.... theres your time, your fares, your processing etc".

I cant charge more than that....I cant sell myself as though I was a professional or something.... Im not! As you all know, Ive only ever taken those other photos for the calendar..... Im not experienced at all. (I wont tell HER that though!!) I will be more than happy to come home after a day in London with £150.

Nooooooo Janice, i've seen your photos and they are better than the ones she's using now, don't sell yourself short otherwise she'll think you aren't a professional!
You can do this project easily & if she has already seen your work & thought you are professional enough for her to want to hire you...what've you got to lose? Just check prices & see what others think you should charge.
£150 is waaaay too cheap for a pro's work (fares alone would cost that from certain parts of the country!) Just take a risk & go for it, I'm sure it'll work out fine. (y)

Back