Thinking of buying a second lens

Name
Steven
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone!

I currently have a Nikon D40 with the standard 18-55mm lens. I'm thinking of buying a new lens, because as you know, there's only so much you can do with 55mm. I've been looking at the Nikon 55-200mm VR lens. I think that might be a good addition, and it's ~£83 on ebay which seems like a really good price!

Do you guys recommend any other lens? Would probably spend max £120, but would like to spend less if possible.

Cheers,
Steven

Hi Steven
It is a really big question and the answers will depend on what you want the new lens to do, or at least, what you want to do with it.
If you are after something to extend the range of the 18-55, then the 55-200VR is a very good match. The price you quoted is by far the cheapest I've seen it for - do be aware of any additional costs or risks if buying from outside the UK.
The kit lens is actually surprisingly good quality and as much as most hobby photographers need. Once you feel you have outgrown what it will allow you to do, then is the time to think about upgrading, but by then you will know a lot more about lenses and their limitations.
Enjoy the D40, it is a great camera.

Hi Steven
It is a really big question and the answers will depend on what you want the new lens to do, or at least, what you want to do with it.
If you are after something to extend the range of the 18-55, then the 55-200VR is a very good match. The price you quoted is by far the cheapest I've seen it for - do be aware of any additional costs or risks if buying from outside the UK.
The kit lens is actually surprisingly good quality and as much as most hobby photographers need. Once you feel you have outgrown what it will allow you to do, then is the time to think about upgrading, but by then you will know a lot more about lenses and their limitations.
Enjoy the D40, it is a great camera.

Hello,

It appears they have upped their price on ebay and no looking at just over £100 for it. I don't have any set thing which I like to take pictures of, it's just for general usage; sports and wildlife mainly.

And I am enjoying it, thanks! :)

Back