This film malarky scares me.

Messiah Khan

Santa is your dad
Name
Alasdair Fowler
Edit My Images
Yes
As per my other thread, im seriously considering getting a Large format camera to help educate myself about not only Large format cameras, but also the use of film. The idea of using LF camera doesn't really worry me too much, im sure I can pick that up fairly fast, but as im a complete film virgin, this is the aspect that confuses me the most.

Unfortunately I don't have anywhere I could set up a darkroom which would my ideal solution. So I have a couple of things I could do; Send the film (Pobably 5x4) off to a professional developer. Just entirely Polaroids. Or (And I think this is possibly the best solution) use some sort of simple process to develop the negatives, then scan them in to the computer.

Also as im completely new to this, the idea of working in complete darkness to load or transfer the film (Even if its just in a bag) puts me off somewhat. Now i've stumbled across some Ilford ortho plus which says it can be loaded and developed under a safelight. Has anyone used this? What is the image quality like? What chemicals and process would I need to develop negatives from this? And is it a complete no no to scan the resulting negative in on a flatbed scanner?

As im just dipping my toes into this for mainly self educational reasons im hoping to keep the cost of everything down to a minimum, so is this a good option? :)

Working in a darkroom doesn't take long to get used to. Practice a few times with a duff piece of film and the lights on. Then try again with the lights off and after a few goes it will be pretty easy to repeat the steps. I used to spend up to 10 hours a day in the dark loading slide film for processing and it's amazing how used you become to it, you really do feel like you've developed an extra sense and known where everything is without thinking about it.

Don't fret about using film, it'll be just fine. After all, it's not like you're entering unknown territory. We've all been getting this stuff to work in the darkness for while and we've all managed ok.

Just get in there and have a go..... what's the worst that can happen. :D

You will be fine, but I gotta say, large format is in the deep end a bit for a film virgin, virtually nothing about L/F is cheap.
I'd say start smaller till you get the gist of it, but the point appears to be gaining experience with L/F.
What is certain is, developing negs is miles easier than you think, and L/F is probably easier than faffing with reels and tanks for M/F and 35mm.
You'll have to give your flatbed a shot to see if its any good for scanning.
Microtek make some decent L/F flatbed scanners, the i900 has a trays for 5x4 & 10x8 and not stupid expensive, but like a lot of scanners, difficult to come by.

Hi MK!

As I said on your other thread - try your local college; even if you don't join a course you might be able to come to some arrangement whereby you can use their studio, LF,s and darkroom as they don't like to have these things just 'standing around' unused.

As for scanning negs on a flatbed... I use an Epson Perfection 4870 Photo and I can scan portions of a 35mm neg or tranny at very high res (giving 20-50Mb files) and can print up to A2 no probs. Came with carriers for 5x4 to 35mm. It's 4 or 5 years old now so probably superceded by something even better.

Just don't drop your roll of film and accidently kick it as you're looking for it ;)

I remember, years ago, going with our camera club on a trip to Kodak in Hemel. We went into the darkroom area and we were all bumping into each other and the walls etc, we turned a corner and there was a guy reading a newspaper !
Must have eaten his carrots :p

I remember, years ago, going with our camera club on a trip to Kodak in Hemel. We went into the darkroom area and we were all bumping into each other and the walls etc, we turned a corner and there was a guy reading a newspaper !
Must have eaten his carrots :p

depends how well dark adjusted you are
it can take up to 30 minutes to achive best night vision
and it's destroyed in seconds

to really freak yourself out
sit with one eye shut for half an hour then turn the lights out
you can see with one eye but not the other!

depends how well dark adjusted you are
it can take up to 30 minutes to achive best night vision
and it's destroyed in seconds

to really freak yourself out
sit with one eye shut for half an hour then turn the lights out
you can see with one eye but not the other!

:LOL:

Must try that!

I found I was okay under the safelight for b+w; although the light from the enlarger would disrupt my night-vision it would return.

BUT under the colour safelight I could not see a thing. The other students literally had to lead me by the hand to the enlarger! It wasn't dark; I could perceive the safelight but ONLY the safelight and nothing else, ever!

Something to do with me being 'otherwise-enabled colour-wise'. :shrug::shrug:

Back