Thorny Problem...

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all.

I hate for my first post on a new forum to be a 'spec me a...' question, but I'm in a bit of a pickle. I was lucky enough to recently get a D80 with nifty fifty and Sigma 30mm f/1.4 to feed the photography bug I seem to have come down with. I'm now out most days, snapping away and trying out new things.

While I feel the 30mm sorts me for a carry lens and the 50 is brilliant for portraits and as a more selective everyday lens I'm hankering after both wide and tele-zoom lenses so I can use a wider range of subjects. My 21st birthday is coming up soon so I've been asked to put together a list of possible pressies for my relatives to look over.

Here's a list of basic 'wants,' so to speak:
  • Sigma 10-20mm
  • A 70-300mm len, either the Sigma 70-300 APO or Nikkor 70-300 VR
  • Tripod - Manfrotto 190X ProB w. 804RC2
  • Cokin filter set
I'd like to start taking panorama and landscape shots, as invariably I seem to live in some of the most beautiful spots in the country (Dorset and Devon mostly) so that would account for the 10-20 and the filters. I'd also like a telephoto lens for wildlife and general use, as on my old Canon S2 IS bridge camera I invariably ended up using the longer half of the focal range. In either eventuality, I can see a tripod coming in handy sooner rather than later. I like the sound of the Sigma's macro function, but have heard some say that its not really a macro lens at all. I love low light and night-time photography so I can see the VR of the nikkor coming in useful. I have no idea how the build quality of either lens matches up, but will get down to a jessops or alike to check for myself soonest.

I'm looking to extend my equipment to open up new possibilities as I have said, but I'm also shooting a friend's wedding in August (*Gasp,* I must be mad! He isn't expecting professional grade stuff, they simply can't afford a photographer and I'm the most experienced 'guy with a camera' he knows and trusts.) I don't know how useful the 10-20 would be for such an event, I'd be able to capture full rooms and groups asuming decent lighting at least, and maybe get a good shot of the church. I can see the 70-300 being more useful, and particularly the Nikkor version, as when I'm forced to move away from my 30/50 indoors the subjects will be sitting or standing stationary and the VR will give me a little more leeway. Outside I suppose IQ will decide which rules.

(Also the nikkor is prettier...)

I'm in my final year of uni so personal funds are tight. what I get for my 21st will have to do me for a long while, though I might be able to afford a tripod towards the end of the summer with work. After that comes an MA year, so I'll still be unable to stretch to big purchases like lenses.

I've no idea of the budget I'm suposed to be working to, and think it'd be a bit rude to ask straight off, so the way I see it breaking down is this:
  • Sigma 10-20 + Filters + Tripod (landscapes)
  • Sigma 70-300 + 10-20 + Filters (covers everything, but I'm not convinced by the reputation of the sigma over the nikkor)
  • Nikkor 70-300 + Tripod (Woo-hoo! wait, wheres the wide-angle?)

If I'm a very, very lucky boy there might even be a possibility of the Nikkor 70-300 and the 10-20 all at once, but I'm not banking on it at all.

So, how do the sigma and nikkor telephotos compare? How much use is a non-VR 70-300 in low light or a 10-20 for landscapes without a tripod?

Basically, what combination do you guys and gals think would be best to ask for?

A tripod and multiple exposures would take care of the panoramic shots, along with some stitching soiftware.

:agree: ... and you should also go for the best glass you can afford ... :shrug: ... Sigma is very highly rated as an alternative to Nikkor lenses by those that use them ... ;)

Oh ... and :welcome: to TP Forums by the way ... :D

:p

Why would you spend double your budget for a wide angle v telephoto.
Choose one or the other, it seems to me your kinda covered wide wise, well, almost...:|...right, to the point - spend as much as you can afford on one lens, dont skimp on the telephoto because you want other things, either buy a stonking wide or a stonking tele, thats my advice

Back