Those Burning Questions...

Sounds like you are doing research! :p

Panning is something I have issues with especially birds in flight. Would love to catch one of our bluetits flying around our garden also the flying squirrel jumping from tree to tree. I understand how to do it just need to practice it.

But down to macro level eg bees/flies this is even harder to achieve.

My guess that panning would be the majority issue as there is definitely an art to it.

back to the very basics:

* How can you work your way up to afford £3-6k lens, and what do you do before it happens?
* Even with a 600mm a small bird is no easy job to shoot. How do you get close enough?

Quite a few years ago I lived near a wild area with herons. I couldn't get a single shot I could print even on A6. You get within around 60m and they are gone. And I suppose they are one of the easier ones to shoot.

Sharp bird in flight shots are challenging ... anything fast moving is a challenge with a long lens ... more so as you get older!
Finding sites to photograph wildlife and having enough available time to make use of them.

The bit I find hardest is actually finding the wildlife in the first place. Even when I know there is something there or the habitat seems ideal I struggle. For example I KNOW there's barn owls near me, however despite best efforts I've only seen them twice and even then only when I wouldn't have expected (mid afternoon, I'd expect closer to dusk). Also the roe seemed to magically vanish last summer, where did they go?

Where are the good sources of information on this, the usual response I get is either "books" (which ones?) google (google what?) or ask about (Asbergers, not going to happen).

Once I can find an animal and get familiar with it I can usually manage something. I got familiar with local roe and often got within 10m of them fairly easily, but it's that initial finding them and getting to know them in the small amount of time I get.

I had an issue the other day. I took one shot of a herring gull flying and one of a mute swan in the lake, and after looking at them I considered the images to be rather dull and uninteresting. But I then had a thought..... if those were the exact same shots of rare species (an eagle flying for example) they'd be much better. So my question is how do you take exciting and unique shots of wildlife that are very common and considered by most to be uninteresting?

Patience! I'm quite happy to shoot any wildlife that happens to appear in front of me when I have a camera in my paws but I lack the patience to sit for ages waiting for something to either appear or do something interesting! The biggest problem is that I tend to get distracted quite easily and am liable to forget what I'm doing and starting something else!

The bit I find hardest is actually finding the wildlife in the first place. Even when I know there is something there or the habitat seems ideal I struggle. For example I KNOW there's barn owls near me, however despite best efforts I've only seen them twice and even then only when I wouldn't have expected (mid afternoon, I'd expect closer to dusk). Also the roe seemed to magically vanish last summer, where did they go?

Where are the good sources of information on this, the usual response I get is either "books" (which ones?) google (google what?) or ask about (Asbergers, not going to happen).

Once I can find an animal and get familiar with it I can usually manage something. I got familiar with local roe and often got within 10m of them fairly easily, but it's that initial finding them and getting to know them in the small amount of time I get.

I agree, general field craft type stuff I could do with brushing up on. I don't necessarily have loads of time to be out in the field gaining experience of how to find and get close to wildlife, I did look and see if I could find a book about it a while back, but I couldn't really find much.

Time is my problem. just not enough of it. I am gettinf fairly close to 2 pairs of kingfishers at the minute but can only get down between 6 and 7.30 am and end up struggling with poor light. Work gets in the way the rest of the day and even at weekends there seems to be so much else to do.

Time is my problem. just not enough of it. I am gettinf fairly close to 2 pairs of kingfishers at the minute but can only get down between 6 and 7.30 am and end up struggling with poor light. Work gets in the way the rest of the day and even at weekends there seems to be so much else to do.
I have this problem too. I am lucky if I can get 2 hours in a week. Right now I am trying to set up a "shooting range" in the garden which will save the walk time but even then I'll struggle for time.

Tips for a garden setup would be good. Right now I have an old stump and a bird feeder. Trying to figure out how to add more photogenic perches with out permanent features in the middle of the lawn. They need to be where they are or else the BG will be a nasty in focus fence not a blur of the fence.

I think time is my main problem, i just seem to always be busy. And when i do find time the wildlife seem to no have time to be photographed ;)

For wildlife photography,birds in particular,do the background research(habitats,time of year,recent sightings,learn to identifi the calls/song etc)this can
be done at home...Another thing i personally do,is carry just enough kit for the job and dont lug gear that i will never use,extra lenses etc,this makes
you more mobile..Take a small fold up stool,keep low and quiet its surprising what you see by just sitting and waiting......

Time for me to get out and look for species and locations. Its getting better as i and some mates pool our knowledge and let each other know where any decent spots are. Still need to put time and patience in though.

Its getting better as i and some mates pool our knowledge and let each other know where any decent spots are. Still need to put time and patience in though.
I think life would be easier if I was part of some sort of local scene. I speak to a few locals on twitter which has helped with a few locations, but I keep thinking some kind of mentor or shooting partner would help both in locations and motivation.

It can be difficult. You can see the results on here from people who put a huge amount of effort into their photography. I would never ask these people to take me to their sites as I dont have anything to offer in return as I am not familiar with their part of the world. I will however ask them if they can suggest places that might be worth spending some time at hoping that they can give me general pointers. I try and research places I visit before I go but local knowledge can be very beneficial.

I try and reciprocate if anyone comes to my part of the country. If im home from i alway offer the opportunity to meet up and take them there myself.

I have this problem too. I am lucky if I can get 2 hours in a week. Right now I am trying to set up a "shooting range" in the garden which will save the walk time but even then I'll struggle for time.

Tips for a garden setup would be good. Right now I have an old stump and a bird feeder. Trying to figure out how to add more photogenic perches with out permanent features in the middle of the lawn. They need to be where they are or else the BG will be a nasty in focus fence not a blur of the fence.

Not sure how many people have the same problem with photography in their gardens but noticed a novel solution (it may be a well known solution - but I am new to all this :) ) in this video:

Take a look at 29 minutes and 10 seconds into the video. They use a blurred backdrop behind the feeding table.

Thought it may help :)

Dave.

I retired last October so have the time,when i didnt have time the shall we say the ordinary subjects used to keep me busy one weekend to another,now i have done them and done them and done them,the problem now is finding new subjects,there are some great places not too far away but i will not go there with my gear and make myself a target for the pratts that hang around in such areas,you know the risks when your stepping over empty wine bottles and used needles.

Back