Thoughts on this please - New Edit Added

Name
Andy Grant
Edit My Images
Yes
4854397060_ec7c19f7fc_b.jpg

and the original

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4123/4821702236_e6f31bbe84_b.jpg

Staff Edit : Image(s) removed. (Link(s) left in place). Pictures must not exceed current forum limits as per the rules.
Please feel free to replace this with a fresh/resized image and remove this text

Shot on a Nikon F3 with Nikon 50mm E series f1.8 on Legacy ro ASA 100 film.

I can't decide if the 1st one is an improvement or whether the frame works or not. Opinions would be appreciated.(y)
I have run the 1st one through Oloneo PhotoEngine and it seems to be a good programme for a rreebie.

Cheers

Andy

Last edited by a moderator:
Hiya Andy

I really like the photo in #1 a definite improvement on #2. I'm just not sure of the colour of the frame (but not sure what colour would look good, will think about it more).

D :)

Thanks Dawn, tbh I thought it was a light grey but it quite obviously isn't now I've looked again. Colour blind you see, another of my many failings.....:crying: :LOL:

Andy

Not keen on the border or title, sorry:( I do use borders occasionally but favour a thin black border if I use any at all.

And like you I am also blighted by colour blindness which is why most of my shots are either b&w or hideously over-saturated and contrasty:LOL:

I prefer the original , putting the pink border on was a grave error

:coat:

:LOL: good play on the pun there ;)

Andy, I actually like the title ..... think it is very appropriate. I also agree with some previous comments about the border, i.e., perhaps a thin dark/black one or perhaps grey.

D :)

Andy, the second one, most definitely. The first one is, how shall I say, tacky ( sorry to be a bit harsh there, my apologies)

If I go for a border on B&W shots, I tend to either stick to a narrow black border, or, if it's a low key shot, then a white pinstripe inside a narrow black border... Narrow black would be 125 pixels on a 5000 pixel longest side, White Pinstripe 15 pixels, Black 110 pixels, again on 5000px longest side. Gives a narrow border, just wide enough that the picture doesn't bleed into the page background on screen :) For print, I tend to leave borders off, and let the frame mount do the job.

Cheers All,

I honestly thought it was a grey border not pink :wacky: I think you are all correct given the subject that just a thin black border would be better on this one although my preference of image is leaning toward the 1st.

Ujjwal no need for apologies tacky is probably about right ;)

Mr Gas that was a terrible pun although I did laugh a bit, in fact it started me coffin. :naughty:

BY, thanks I'll try those dimensions.

Cheers

Andy

Cheers All,

I honestly thought it was a grey border not pink :wacky:

The border is grey to my extremely colour blind eyes too. Personally I think all of these colour visioned people are all wrong and we are right ;)

My wife does not believe me that some greys look pink and vice versa in my eyes. Similar with fluorescent greens (they are yellow) and many purples (except Magenta) are blue. As for Brown/Red/Green shades - I've come up with a new colour (Breen) for when I don't know.

I used to use a program called "what colour" when I used windows. It told you the colour name and hex/rgb code for any colour the mouse pointer was on. I'll have to see if there is something similar for Linux.

#1 for me BTW. ;)

This an improvement?

4854374543_6e8045069b_b.jpg

Cheers

Andy

If we are being honest here I think I would rather be able to see the front headstone rather than a border? As it stands it's a dark blob taking up half the picture and only supplying something that looks like it's in the way...:shrug:

Arthur

Thanks Halli, you seem to be exactly the same as I. It can be a real pain at times, but there are worse things to be afflicted with.

Andy

While you are in a forgiving mood Andy, 2 more things - I have never liked the idea of wirting the name of the photographer on the picture, and I never liked the idea of putting a name or description to a picture. A picture, to me anyways, should be just by itself. Clean and simple. ( at best, the place and the camera/film./dev info in a separate line outside of the picture).

Incidentally, I have photographed a good many graveyard and tombstone, but could never capture the mood and isolation. I have a picture in my mind; but never saw a in real life setting which matches my mental picture. :crying:

Last edited:
Hmmm, it seems they were right :(

colour.jpg

The new version of what colour doesn't tell you the name of the colour though. Works in Linux though :)

EDIT: According to http://www.colblindor.com/color-name-hue/ the colour is Vanilla Ice!!!

colour2.jpg

(ATTN. COLOUR VISION PEOPLE: ALL OF THE COLOURS IN THAT SQUARE ARE GREY!!)

Last edited:
Vanilla Ice eh? I new it wasn't pink.

Ujjwal, yes I understand what you mean about the borders and titles etc. Tbh it was just an experiment and the images I save in my 'special' to be printed file are never sullied by any of the above. However, for presentation purposes on here and other sites I find that they do look quite attractive.

Andy

Graveyards are extremely difficult things to photograph. Almost everyone has a go (nice and quiet, a captive 'audience', plenty of light and shade) but they are almost always about the monumental masonry of the era and say little about mortality.
Whitby graveyard is one of the most evoctive, with sandstone tombs worn into honeycomb by the prevailing winds and all the Dracula baggage of the ruined abbey and even pictures of that rarely hit the mark so churchyards are not easy. The most revealing shot I've seen was from the seaward side where coastal erosion has claimed some of the graves leaving dark grave marks in the cliff face.

they are almost always about the monumental masonry of the era and say little about mortality.

I think you hit the nail on the head there. There needs to be a human figure amongst those masonaries to capture the mood - preferrably a old person tending to the grave ( an old husband tending to his wife's grave). But very difficult to get that moment, and even more difficult to shoot it - I would feel that I am intruding into someones very personal space there

I think you hit the nail on the head there. There needs to be a human figure amongst those masonaries to capture the mood - preferrably a old person tending to the grave ( an old husband tending to his wife's grave). But very difficult to get that moment, and even more difficult to shoot it - I would feel that I am intruding into someones very personal space there

I had that very experience when taking this, over to the left under the trees was an old lady putting flowers on a grave and I couldn't bring myself to take the picture, it felt wrong.

Andy

I think your idea is a good one Andy but I agree with Arthur that the grave stome you have picked is a black blob.

Think if you had a stone with more sunlight on it, or picking up on the words, it would work better.

Graveyards are fab places to photograph I did them for 2 years on 2 seperate photo projects for college. Mind you I avaoided the new ones and concentrated on the Victorian.

Go to Southern Cemetery or the one in Macclesfield Andy you'll find some interesting stones there.

The gravestone in the foreground would have benefitted from some judicious burning in and holding back under an enlarger. I assume you can do the same thing digitally but it's not my area.
I can't read what the message says on the stone but choosing one with some compelling sentiment would make the picture as gravestones are basically graphic design in stone.

You sir are a man after my own heart, never allow a pun to pass by I say.

You sir are a man after my own heart, never allow a pun to pass by I say.

I'll think you'll find that pun has now passed on!

It is indeed an ex-pun, in fact it is pushing up the daisies from below........

OK, here's another edit.

An improvement or not?

Andy

That's definitely the best edited version so far, looks great. The only thing I'd recommend changing is the typeface at the bottom, it's a bit light-hearted for such a gloomy subject. I'd say put it in a serif like Times or Palatino so that the style fits more.

Thanks Jak, I was looking for something a bit more Gothic but couldn't see anything.

Andy

Palatino, thats the one. (y)

Last edited:
Very clever Arthur, I like that.

Andy

Back