Three From Today -Opinions Needed

CraigF

Suspended / Banned
Name
Guess..Bet you don't get it.
Edit My Images
Yes
Really need opinions on this set of three and the other set of three, need to see what gear i am keeping and what is going.

blutit.jpg

goldfinch-2.jpg

starling-2.jpg

I hate you guys with FF cameras, nice shots.
Matt

All very good(y)(y) but a bit central. I always like to have slightly more space on the side the subject is looking, swimming or flying into.

Stunning shots, I'd be well chuffed if they were mine.
The blue tits around here won sit still enough for me to get a decent shot.
And you are looking at going back to cropped sensor?

Beautiful, I love seeing the intricate bodily patterns on birds, they always look amazing. Definately shots to be proud of.

What species is the first bird? I've seen quite a few in my garden recently, is it a blue tit?

on my screen the first one looks as though you've cut t out from another pic and stuck it on to a blurred background

is this how it came out or have you perhaps over sharpened or do I need new eyes?

on my screen the first one looks as though you've cut t out from another pic and stuck it on to a blurred background

is this how it came out or have you perhaps over sharpened or do I need new eyes?
I was about to post the same thing, it looks over sharpened to me.

number 2 is good, but number 3, looks the best for me, nice and sharp great capture on the iridescent colouring (y)

why a crop is better for wildlife if you need to get in close..

FF has a lovely quality to it, my comments were tongue in cheek.

There is no difference in image magnification recorded on the sensor regardless of crop factor, all that happens with a crop is you lose the bit around the edge, you dont get in any close, that's all a myth, ask FITP, a 300mm lens for instance gives the same image regardless of crop factor it just looks like its bigger because you dont see the edge stuff you would see on FF or 1.3 crops.
You might get a bigger image if you then crop what you have and use the extra pixels (although you lose quality doing that of course) compared to the usually lower pixel count on a larger format camera.

Matt

FF has a lovely quality to it, my comments were tongue in cheek.

There is no difference in image magnification recorded on the sensor regardless of crop factor, all that happens with a crop is you lose the bit around the edge, you dont get in any close, that's all a myth, ask FITP, a 300mm lens for instance gives the same image regardless of crop factor it just looks like its bigger because you dont see the edge stuff you would see on FF or 1.3 crops.
You might get a bigger image if you then crop what you have and use the extra pixels (although you lose quality doing that of course) compared to the usually lower pixel count on a larger format camera.

Matt

I realise that Matt but if you have only ever used Crops Sensors then go to FF your brain processes the illusion (well mine does. :LOL:) and therefore makes you think you are further away even though as you say you are just getting more in the picture.

I was about to post the same thing, it looks over sharpened to me.

number 2 is good, but number 3, looks the best for me, nice and sharp great capture on the iridescent colouring (y)

I was trying a different PP technique, i just used the blur tool as normal on the background but you are correct that the finch does look a little over sharpened even though its not.

Last edited:

Last edited:
It surely is, but they are all good.
What lens, Craig?

Shot with a Sigma 120-400mm OS DG HSM GTI V8 LCD FFS WTF i think theres more letters but i cant remember them all. :wacky:

I have no idea what just happened there...for some reason it posted that last comment three times.

Getting back to the original question, are you not happy with these results, what are you thinking of keeping/getting rid of.
It's often said (even by camera shops) that the 5D doesnt match the crop bodies (latest versions e.g. 50D/7D) for speed of AF but these look ok to me.

Matt

Getting back to the original question, are you not happy with these results, what are you thinking of keeping/getting rid of.
It's often said (even by camera shops) that the 5D doesnt match the crop bodies (latest versions e.g. 50D/7D) for speed of AF but these look ok to me.

Matt

Well heres a few things i can confirm having used 40D, 50D.
Image quality is better, AF about the same.
Noise is a major Plus on the 5D, i am very confident shooting at 1600 iso and knowing i will get the results i want.
the 40D is good with noise but not as good as the 5D, the 50D is no where near the 5D at handling High Iso noise, as a matter of fact the 50D is not even in the same ball park.
The strange thing is though i spent yesterday really delving into the menus on the 5D and i adjusted a few things. I am even happier now with it. I think i maybe need to give it a little more time.

Back