Critique Through the bakers window.

Very nice and also avoiding the reflection of glass, good shot, details of camera,lens and film please.

Doing nothing for me and I really love cakes :( there is a number of things that put me off the photo but critically for me the headless shop keeper in the background, the lark out of focus signage on the LHS and the dark join in the glass...all told it really just doesn't feel appealing to me

Doing nothing for me and I really love cakes :( there is a number of things that put me off the photo but critically for me the headless shop keeper in the background, the lark out of focus signage on the LHS and the dark join in the glass...all told it really just doesn't feel appealing to me

Can we see some of your film shots Matthew, you did spend a lot of money on film a little while ago.:banghead:

The crop may be wrong,but,the subject is spot on.

Last edited:
Can we see some of your film shots Matthew, you did spend a lot of money on film a little while ago.:banghead:

Given time you will...but as I've not been able to get out of the house for a fair amount of time I'm not going to waste film on pointless shots around the house...as to that I don't see what my film shots would have to do with any comments I've made here?

Given time you will...but as I've not been able to get out of the house for a fair amount of time I'm not going to waste film on pointless shots around the house...as to that I don't see what my film shots would have to do with any comments I've made here?

EXPERIENCE, my lovely boy.

That is a wonderful spot Mark. :clap::clap::clap:

I've lost count of the number of times I've scanned 35mm film upside down, back to front or just plain wrong, so one of the first "sanity checks" I do is to look for any lettering and make sure its the correct way round :LOL:

EXPERIENCE, my lovely boy.

I think Matt has plenty of experience in taking photos, although critique (as indicated in the thread title) doesn't even need that as a subjective art. Your veiled comment that people without film experience is just not good and not in keeping with the TP ethos.

As for the shot, I agree with Matt. It has nothing to hold the attention. It is a record of a collection of cakes in a window and does nothing for me. If I were to shoot it I would consider 2 approaches- either isolate a cake and shoot it in better light or perhaps ask the shop worker or even the baker to stand in the shot fully to gain some human interest or context for the shot. Or I would just buy a cake and eat it! As it stands it is an adequately exposed shot of some cakes, that as Mark has pointed out, was not even scanned in the right way round!

Last edited:
I think Matt has plenty of experience in taking photos, although critique (as indicated in the thread title) doesn't even need that as a subjective art. Your veiled comment that people without film experience is just not good and not in keeping with the TP ethos.

As for the shot, I agree with Matt. It has nothing to hold the attention. It is a record of a collection of cakes in a window and does nothing for me. If I were to shoot it I would consider 2 approaches- either isolate a cake and shoot it in better light or perhaps ask the shop worker or even the baker to stand in the shot fully to gain some human interest or context for the shot. Or I would just buy a cake and eat it! As it stands it is an adequately exposed shot of some cakes, that as Mark has pointed out, was not even scanned in the right way round!

Well said and articulated JIM.:clap: Also nothing veiled at all.

Sorry Jim,forgot to say, welcome back.(y)

Last edited:
Back