Time to find Ratty

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Not seen one before, and the place that's meant to hold a few locally has to revealed one to me though i have seen signs they are there,so ventured to a reserve which is only 40 miles away . After leaving the car and walking less than 50 meters i had my first sighting on the far bank of the river but not a very photogenic spot,so on further up the path to a little wooden bridge and down to one side a youngster was munching away on vegetation. So got some shots had a nice walk and will venture back another day in the late afternoon for better light hopefully.

Water Vole by John, on Flickr

8M6A4885 by John, on Flickr

Water Vole by John, on Flickr

My pref number is the 3rd John I prefer the POV over the first ,but it's tight also the framing/ the placement of subject in the third really works for me as does the water........... good set bro I really like all of them, i'm nit picking as always mate but might also burn some of the hi lights if that's ok ethics wise for you, first two moreso than the last. they are a bit strong for me

Bud have a dig for a guy whom sat in a river in a dry suit, I saw this on TV somewhere, some of the most inspiring brit filming I've ever seen His focus was water vole they utterly accepted him............. the time the sheer endurance of that guy...... amazing !!. I'm sure with a bit of digging or maybe someone here, he can be found. Proper inspirational John hard graft endurance ( to cold) patience field craft in spades. I don't know his name but wow he made an impression on me .

Looks like you did well on your first visit! There’s just something about Water Voles that makes them so photogenic. Trust me it will soon turn into an obsession!

Bud have a dig for a guy whom sat in a river in a dry suit, I saw this on TV somewhere, some of the most inspiring brit filming I've ever seen His focus was water vole they utterly accepted him............. the time the sheer endurance of that guy...... amazing !!. I'm sure with a bit of digging or maybe someone here, he can be found. Proper inspirational John hard graft endurance ( to cold) patience field craft in spades. I don't know his name but wow he made an impression on me .

Would that have been Terry Whittaker? He’s been photographing water voles at a site in Kent for many years. A photo can be seen in the link below:

Bless ya Rob , mate it has to be I'm shattered bud, but it has to be , you can see why I wanted John to know of him, wow what an image/ film maker !!

........... such dedication and amazing results !! I dare say when I get off this madness, i'll revisit him

take care mate thanks again :)

Cheers for the comments guys, enjoyed watching these little fellas going about there business down on the river . Stu me ol mate as for the POV yes it would be great to get down low, the third pic was the only place on site that you had a chance to get near the water ,no fence, but that far bank is ugly just a mud and rough vegetation. The other two were from the path so you are six foot, plus your positioning above them which is good if they are in amongst the vegies. I had a quick look at Terry Whittaker ( thanks Rob) yes i see what you are raven about. But jumping into my wet suit and laying in the river a the reserve aint going to go down well bud ,but yes there might be some possibilities of improving the POV for sure so thanks as always .

Lol I wasn't really wanting you going for a dip, John meh ok the rascal in me probably would:LOL:.................I just find the lengths some folks go to deeply inspiring mate that's what I wanted to you see. I wonder you might get the first water vole ASBO, or maybe even get fed fish and reported as a seal:runaway:

Sorry kiddo I sort of see the funny side in that reply. River banks are really tough to get low POV's, I've found that myself , you did great mate no shame in the above.

very nice set- I tend to see Water Voles all the time down here on the Somerset Levels, nice to know other locations have them too :)

Les :)

Back