Timelapse advice

Name
Julian
Edit My Images
Yes
I hope this is the best place to post this question.

I am toying with the idea of doing a timelapse project and am after a little advice.
I have done timelapse before (the usual startrail ones etc) but they always come out with a lot of flicker in them.

My question is - would I be better setting my camera to aperture priority and let the camera sort out the exposure or would I be better doing full manual control? I would be doing sunrise, daytime, sunset and night time sequences.

I know I need to keep the aperture constant to maintain my depth of field throughout but can't make up my mind about the exposure time.

I'm hoping that this will be a fairly large timelapse project that may well kill my D7000 (only got 5500 clicks at present) so want to get it right.

Thanks

Julian

Yep, full manual of everything is the only way. Even then you can still get flicker in some situations. There's a plugin for Lightroom called LRTimelapse that can help with this if you get unlucky, but I've yet to check it out.

My goal was to be able to capture a timelapse from starlight through dawn to full sunlight.
Only way is to use full automatic settings and something like LRTimelapse to de-flicker the result.
Have a watch of the LRTimelapse introductory video which shows how to do this.
Watching that clip was a real WOW moment for me.

Here's a thread I started a while ago that may be worth a read.
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=418416&highlight=timelapse

Thanks for the replies guys.
I have already got the LR Timelapse program so just need to work out how to use it properly - will give the tuts a look:)

Aperture Priority and fix the ISO, as well as the WB, switch to manual focus, turn off the rear display and away you go.

Overnight you might want to put a canopy directly over the camera to protect from dew, which generally falls directly downwards.

Back