Beginner Tips for BSB/MotoGP newbie

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,
So I'm pretty new to all things photography, so don't really know where to start?
I've always been involved within the motorbike community and after getting a new camera for Christmas (Sony Cyber-shot DSC HX300) I want to get more involved in the photography side of the sport.
I understand that the camera isn't the best for sport photography as its only a bridge, but I wondered if anyone had any tips for an amateur?
Many thanks in advance

Like Andrew says, get comfortable with your camera settings and understand how they influence the images you get. Bikes are much more forgiving when using high shutter speeds, with cars its very easy to freeze the wheels so the car looks parked on the track... with 2 wheeled stuff you have the bike and rider leaning all over the place so it matters much less if you can see the spokes because you can still see action in the shot. I'd suggest working between 1/500 and 1/800 shutter speeds as this should give you a decent balance.

I started off with a bridge camera 7 years ago and still got reasonable images... the tech has moved on a long way since then so i'd imagine yours will be more than capable. Most tips for shooting motorsport will be just as applicable to you as to DSLR users, so do search in here and you'll get a wealth of tips.

Specifically for the Moto gp (and other big events like BSB) use Fridays to explore the circuit and see where will work for you and pay attention to the position of the sun. Don't be afraid to photograph through the catch fencing either, youll be surprised what you can get when using a long focal length (big zoom), It can take some experimentation but it's worth while. Use what you learn to plan out how you will approach the saturday and sunday as they will be much busier with less freedom of movement. If you know where you want to be a points during those days you can get in position early enough to grab a space.

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/i-love-fences.532439/

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/first-time-motorsport-tips.537057/#post-6199254

Back