Tips on shooting at Autosport show

Name
Jason
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all.

As some of you may know its Autosport International next week.

I'l be popping in on Thursday and as this will be my first time using my Dslr (in the day), i'd appreciate any tips people have.

Thanks

No not the live show, just the main halls with the show cars and general engineering stuff.

if shooting in the Halls .. lighting is all over the place and crowds are a major problem too... Thursday may be better as its a Trade Day, so not as many peopla as the weekend.

chrissy said:
if shooting in the Halls .. lighting is all over the place and crowds are a major problem too... Thursday may be better as its a Trade Day, so not as many peopla as the weekend.

Still gets pretty busy on the trade days as well! I work on a stand for this show and the classic, and even with pre and post show access I still rarely bother taking any pics as stated above the lighting is awful in the halls.

I shall be there on Thursday too. I am the official photographer for the P1 Powerboat Racing Championship, so there to cover the launch.

Depends what you want to photograph. Bimbettes on the bonnets/wings/open doors? car badges close up? How about for the whole thing, get up high, put your camera on a long exposure and leave it to burn the trail of blurred people walkig the aisles, that was one I did for a show a few years ago, using the fisheye.

You will need to be used to working at 1/15 and slower. Either that, or you will need to wind your iso up to 800 or somethign daft. I tend to go up one stop to 200 and take a couple of lights that I can slave from the camera.

I shall be there on Thursday too. I am the official photographer for the P1 Powerboat Racing Championship, so there to cover the launch.

Depends what you want to photograph. Bimbettes on the bonnets/wings/open doors? car badges close up? How about for the whole thing, get up high, put your camera on a long exposure and leave it to burn the trail of blurred people walkig the aisles, that was one I did for a show a few years ago, using the fisheye.

You will need to be used to working at 1/15 and slower. Either that, or you will need to wind your iso up to 800 or somethign daft. I tend to go up one stop to 200 and take a couple of lights that I can slave from the camera.

If the girls get in the way I will tell them to move!!

Thanks for the advice, I will mainly be taking photos of the cars I like, maybe try some arty photos of certain parts of cars and engineering things I find interesting being a motorsport engineer.

Never had a problem either with the main hall lighting or the live show. Here's some from my last visit in 2009 :

autosport-international-2009-live-show-mini.jpg

autosport-international-2009-live-show-drifting.jpg

autosport-international-2009-dotz-alcar.jpg

autosport-international-2009-jennai-dewsbury.jpg

autosport-international-2009-renault-trophy.jpg

Just a thought but would a polarizing filter work inside the main halls? Mainly to reduce the reflection.

Back