Tit at feeding perch

Name
Jonathan
Edit My Images
Yes
I've recently set up a feeding station purposely for bird photography. It's basically an RSPB pole, with a few real branches attached to it for passerines to perch on. There is also a log for bigger birds. The idea is that birds will land on one of these natural looking perches before feeding, although many times they head straight to the food. They will often land, and then turn sideways, which is when I press the shutter. The background is a conifer, which makes a nice uniform background when the lens is wide open. The camera is tripod mounted indoors, with the backdoor open. I pretend to drink tea and that I am not concerned with birds, then they come in...

So, here is one of a Blue Tit. My self-critique is that without background leaves or any distractions at all, it possibly looks a bit sterile. In focus yes, sharp yes, catchlight in the eye yes, but ultimately a bit boring perhaps? Any suggestions as to how I can make these images more interesting?

IMG_8181%20Blue%20Tit%2C%20Wansteadwtmk.jpg

Hope this image-posting works, first time I have tried it.

Thanks
Jonathan

Nice detailed catch. You've very much identified the issue is with the bg. For my taste the BT is a little lost in this setting - going for a tighter crop will correct that and at the same time dilute that bg. Ideally though to relocate the perch so that you have some bg foliage.

Back