TMR Gig

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
My son Matt and his band, TMR, had a Halloween gig along with 4 other bands. I learnt that ISO1600 is challenging, that it's worth remembing to take a back up battery [in-camera one had almost expired after an afternoon's street shoot with Jamey aka fingerz] and to try not to photo in the almost total dark. And there was no stage...

Matt
tmr2a.jpg

Twiggy
tmr2e.jpg

Matt & Rob
tmr2c.jpg

Dark...
tmr2f.jpg

And nicely focused [but not on the band :eek:]
tmrg.jpg

All good fun.

You seem to have caught the action and atmosphere well, but the amount of noise reduction applied has smoothed out alot of the details. Sometimes getting a gritty effect and keeping detail for this kind of subject matter is preferable.

I would re-process and go a little easier on the noise reduction.

Agree:)
I think the first two really do seem to have the atmosphere - moody non glamourous shots look good.
:thumb:

Thanks - must admit the "Noise Ninja" on auto-profile is a bit severe.

Fingerz's comment:
It's almost like it's high key without being high key. A low key high key, if you will (not to be confused with the hokey kokey, that's different).

:D

Yep, these are challenging shots to take :icon_eek:

I've got a job lined up for a band that have just been signed and are Stateside bound early next year.

They had a pro photographer that did a 'freebie' for them and wanted to use one of the shots for an album cover, but the photographer said she would want £2k :ponders:

I'm going to do a 'real' freebie for them and get a couple of other bands in my portfolio and then see if I can start earning a bit of lens dosh out of this.

No flash and no room to set a tripod up is a nightmare but I'm going to make the best of the lighting rigs and smoke machine.

I agree with Steve...a little grittiness would have added rather than detracted for this kind of shot.
I would have another go with them.
No stage must have been a headache too, so you did well to get anything at all under such challenging conditions :thumb:

Hokey kokey kokey thrash metal styleeeeee [he's only 15 but all the band look and sound like their early 20s /oap]. S'long as he's having fun - if fame & fortune follow then that'll be a bonus.

And cheers - will try some reprocessing & best o' luck with your shoot too.

Back