To Flash, or Not to Flash

Edit My Images
Yes
I always find myself in this dilemma - to use the flash or not to use the flash?

I usually prefer not to flash cause I want to capture the colour I see, but without a flash, the picture will be too dark, and usually the camera will automatically increase the exposure time to compensate for the lack of light and cause blurring due to handshake.

Here's an example, without flash and with flash. What would you have done in this case?

Japan0369.jpg

Japan0370.jpg

Completely depends on individual circumstances. I wouldn't say you should always/never use flash.

Jury's out on the above picture. The top pic is obviously darker but I think I prefer it to the one with the flash.

I would have probably ramped down the flash exposure compensation as far as it would go,
or used a longer focal length and zoomed in to put some distance between me and the subject.

Having said that I'm a total novice when it comes to flash and only have the 350d's built in flash until I get the 580EX

If you can control the flash then that's your best choice. I have found that knocking it down a couple of steps usually helps temper it a bit. But if you have a histogram function on your camera then a quick review will let you know if you've blown any areas using the flash.

I much prefer to use natural light if possible, though as everyone has said, careful use of the fill flash rather than full on flash is the answer if you have to use it. Your original available light shot is still preferable to me, it's just a little dark and needs some Photoshop adjustment. :)

Japanadjust.jpg

Back