To PP or keep as is?...

Most definitely not. :)

One thing I wont budge on though is fake borders on digital photos meant to look like wet plate collodion with fake fingermarks and distressed edges......just wrong

One thing I wont budge on though is fake borders on digital photos meant to look like wet plate collodion with fake fingermarks and distressed edges......just wrong

Fake finger marks??? seriously?... why would anyone want fingermarks let alone fake ones?

lol..yes.

What I meant was with wet plate collodion, you hold the plate between thumb and finger in one corner, so you generally see one corner that is all smudged and marked quite noticeably more than the others. And I've seen fake borders adding the one corner extra distress almost as to add 'authenticity' So although they might not show fingerprints exactly, they are copying the fingermarks that would be on the plate

With you on the fake collodion for digital images. What's that all about?

I've paid my dues and had black stains on my fingers enough to understand why you hate that :)

There is a bug in this software, as I was going to post a reply and changed my mind and wiped it clean with delete..but every time I come to this thread my original post (undeleted) is there waiting for me to hit the reply button. Well I've now written this and will hit the post reply button and see what happens.

Stop press: Well my original post has gone, but I shouldn't have to do this as the next step would be to wiped this post (or original intended post) clean and hit the save changes button:shrug:

Last edited:

Hmm. Why? If the image requires it, then it isn't wrong. If the image doesn't, then it is - whether it's digital or not.

Of course, each to his/her own I suppose. There's no difference in principle between fingermarks and grain - both are due to imperfections in the process, and some people have been known to introduce grain digitally. So why not fingermarks? No accounting for (bad) taste. :)

There is a bug in this software, as I was going to post a reply and changed my mind and wiped it clean with delete..but every time I come to this thread my original post (undeleted) is there waiting for me to hit the reply button. Well I've now written this and will hit the post reply button and see what happens.

Stop press: Well my original post has gone, but I shouldn't have to do this as the next step would be to wiped this post (or original intended post) clean and hit the save changes button:shrug:

The forum auto saves your post every so often. Probably it hadn't had a chance to save your 'deleted' version before you navigated away from the thread.

/OT

The forum auto saves your post every so often. Probably it hadn't had a chance to save your 'deleted' version before you navigated away from the thread.

/OT

Could be the answer, but once you write a reply but change your mind maybe there should be a cancel button...but in future would post, then edit by deleting everything and save changes.

This happened to me the other day too, 3 times it was still there waiting for me to send

It's caught me a couple of times... I've had 2 tabs open on the same page, half composed a message in one, then got distracted or the thread has moved on, and composed a different reply in another tab. When I hit post on the second tab, it's included the first half baked version and the second one. Still compared to the old forums approach of throwing massive posts away, I'm not going to grumble...

It's caught me a couple of times... I've had 2 tabs open on the same page, half composed a message in one, then got distracted or the thread has moved on, and composed a different reply in another tab. When I hit post on the second tab, it's included the first half baked version and the second one. Still compared to the old forums approach of throwing massive posts away, I'm not going to grumble...

It did the same to me and did something recently that I've never done here and that is... to marry up posts to two different people in one post :eek: well one post I wasn't going to send, also like you.

Last edited:
No surprise there is such a varied range of opinions on this topic of PP.

Since my last visit to the UK, and having the opportunity to dicuss scanning techniques with a couple of other TP members, I now find myself making more tweaks at the scanning stage as against afterwards in photoshop.

It is (for me) a very slow learning process but have to confess that I seem to be obtaing better results than I was previously.

The difficulty I personally find is spending too much time "playing" at getting the right result ( or right for me anyway)

For example I am presently scanning some colour neg film which has a distinct green colour cast.

Adjusting the cast for all 12 frames at once simply is not working , thus i'm having to adjust each frame individually and at the same time make some minor changes to light levels etc.....the time taken is increased as sometimes it is difficult to decide on what adjustments works best and wether i will still be happy with the result tomorrow when i review them, or will find myself re scanning again thus " wasting" more time.

Perhaps the ability to PP so much is for some of us a hinderance rather than a benefit :shrug:

Back