Today - Chaffinches and Bumblefoot.

CT

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
The Male Chaffinches are showing incredible colour just at the moment...

3842781687_85c7e55e61_o.jpg

Unfortunately a lot of the Cannock Chase Chaffies are suffering from an awful looking disease known as Bumblefoot - a progessive horny growth on the feet and legs. It's not fatal in itself but it cuts down the birds' mobilty and makes them more susceptible to birds of prey. They do lose toes in advanced cases. You see some of these birds hovering just an inch or two above the ground trying to pick up food, presumably because it's too painful too land. It's not confined to The Chase by any means - there are pockets of it all over the country.

This young female is already showing the condition in quite an advanced state...

3843570322_a83e05e0a0_o.jpg

Just to end on a cheerful note, here's another young female seemingly unaffected.

3843570554_c26df8f1f8_o.jpg

I will keep an eye out for that here.
Chaffinches were another species that were rarely seen on the hill. Now we have loads.

That last shot is just brilliant.

Another good set, I like 3 & 1 best (in that order), maybe because its sad to see number 2 even though its still a good shot :clap:
I was wondering why the BG varies somewhat, is this the light conditions, it can be poor there.
Either way I do like them, must get up there again real soon (y).
Trev

Thanks for posting the pictures, which are all top notch. I was interested in what you said about the bumblefoot as it reminded me of a picture that I took some time ago at The Lodge, Sandy. Is the bird below suffering the same problem? Someone in the hide had suggested it was a parasite but it looks more like the bumblefoot in your picture to me.

20081018-_DSC2561.jpg

Interested to hear your views.

Ken

That looks like Bumblefoot to me Ken. I've seen loads of Chaffinches with similar looking legs to that. Bumblefoot is caused by a parasitic infection and Chaffinches are particularly susceptible to it. There's another condition which is a fungal growth and referred to as 'Fur Foot' but as far as I can tell the two conditions look quite different.

Spent this morning checking out "my" chaffies. They are all looking good.(y)

That's great then Charlie.(y)

A year ago it was a rare sight on the hill to see a chaffinch. We have loads now so I think nesting has been good this year. Just hope the keep clear of that nasty looking disease.

Hi Cedric,

Such a wonderful set, they all deserve to be framed.

-----------
Graham.

Back