Today's Birds + a little something extra ;)

Jo

Name
Jo Fisher
Edit My Images
Yes
Had chance to sit at my window again, so I thought I would bring you the results.

#1 Robin

Camera: Canon EOS 40D
Exposure: 0.002 sec (1/500)
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 400 mm
ISO Speed: 100

#2 Mistle Thrush standing proud

#3 Mistle Thrush just getting out of the bath :D

#4 Mrs House Sparrow

Finally, a sound clip to give you an idea of the noise in our garden. This is actually a quiet period :LOL: Our road is going to be closed soon for works, and I'm hoping to get some better clips of different birds. But for now you can have this short one.

[YOUTUBE] <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nmZLeJ07SUA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nmZLeJ07SUA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object> [/YOUTUBE]​

Thanks for looking!

Jo
xxx

Last edited:
These are superb Jo - that Robin is a corker :clap: !

A faultless set - plus a soundtrack! Vunderbar :D

(y)

Sharp!! Give Bob his lens back - now!! :D

Thanks all :D

CT :p are you worried? :LOL: tbh though, if I were to get to your standard I would be happier. You've nothing to worry about just yet ;)

The Robin and the Sparrow are outstanding shots. Really excellent and I can't see how they could be improved. Fantastic.

CT :p are you worried? :LOL: tbh though, if I were to get to your standard I would be happier. You've nothing to worry about just yet ;)

I'm a born worrier! :D

They are wonderful. The robin and the sparrow are fabulous. I have been using the same lens but not achieved anything like these with garden birds. I agree with the comments about this lens - it is a belter.

I am undecided at the moment whether to sell my 100-400 and get the 400 cause I think it might be sharper

Kaz, you already have one of the sharpest lenses Canon make in the 300mm 2.8L, and it's a superb performer with the 1.4XTC (420mm) and 2XTC (600mm) The 2XTC has lived on the 300mm since we got it.

I'm a born worrier! :D

I wasn't ...but I'm catching up remarkably quickly :( Another smashing set their Jo.

I can hear the conversation now...."ere, what's that bird doin' over there?" "Dunno', but she's got a nice lens" ;)

Bob

What can I say Jo - lovely doesn't seem to be enough :)
Can I ask how big your garden is, and how you manage to be attracting Mistle Thrushes? ;)
I think apart from honing my photographic skills I need to manage to get the birds to come into the garden!! They already cost me a fortune in food but the little angels won't be tempted any closer to the house for some reason. Unless it's to eat the grass seed I have put down!!
Marcia

Jo do you mind me asking how far you are when taking the shots I am undecided at the moment whether to sell my 100-400 and get the 400 cause I think it might be sharper

+

Kaz, you already have one of the sharpest lenses Canon make in the 300mm 2.8L, and it's a superb performer with the 1.4XTC (420mm) and 2XTC (600mm) The 2XTC has lived on the 300mm since we got it.

In answer to your question Kaz, I am taking most of the perch shots just over the minimum focusing distance of 3.5m (I had to move them further away from my window :eek:), the rest are within about 20ft. But going by what CT says, if I were you I would keep your 100-400mm for versatility. Unless of course it's the weight thing that is tempting you? :shrug:

Crackin set Jo. The Robin is a belter (y)

Thank you! :0)

The Robin and the Sparrow are outstanding shots. Really excellent and I can't see how they could be improved. Fantastic.

Thanks Badger ;0)

Great set of images, excellent detial and very sharp :)

Cheers (y)

wow. put that lens down before you cut yourself. Great work!

:LOL: Thanks!

They are wonderful. The robin and the sparrow are fabulous. I have been using the same lens but not achieved anything like these with garden birds. I agree with the comments about this lens - it is a belter.

Ingrid, have a look at some of the exif details I've given. Then try and keep your target to just over the minimum focusing distance of 3.5m, or fill the frame with your target (which ever comes first). Hand hold only if you are 100% sure you can keep steady, else use a tripod. Then the rest should be a breeze :0)

Great shots of lovely birds, like the pose in the robin picture, love the sparrow picture :)

Thanks Happy ;0)

I wasn't ...but I'm catching up remarkably quickly :( Another smashing set their Jo.

I can hear the conversation now...."ere, what's that bird doin' over there?" "Dunno', but she's got a nice lens" ;)

Bob

:LOL: .. Sorry Bob!

What can I say Jo - lovely doesn't seem to be enough :)
Can I ask how big your garden is, and how you manage to be attracting Mistle Thrushes? ;)
I think apart from honing my photographic skills I need to manage to get the birds to come into the garden!! They already cost me a fortune in food but the little angels won't be tempted any closer to the house for some reason. Unless it's to eat the grass seed I have put down!!
Marcia

Marcia, I'll try my best to answer you. I'd love to think I can help others get closer to it all :)

My feeding station I have set up, is at present used as a standby (You can click to see the notes on the flickr page):

As you can see there is a perch between the two poles which did me a great service for a long while when getting my first 'non feeder' shots. Now I have sawn off (or should I say Chris has :LOL:) the roof part of our old feeder, it was one of those wooden old style ones. I now use this as a table feeder, and it has that large branch across the top and another branch over that. We put a great big pile of mixed seed and sunflower hearts on this daily. This has brought many more birds, and even some new ones (the Reed Buntings for example). Because they don't hang off the feeders on the table, they tend to use the branches, which gives me a greater hit rate. The only trouble is that I know it's only a matter of time before that rats return as they can climb up this. So I'll have to figure something out so as to deter them if we are going to keep this one going.

As for tips on tempting Mistle Thrush .. well to be honest I think our main attraction is an over grown weedy garden :LOL: We tend only to weed occasionally, which means there are lots of bugs around for the birds as well as providing coverage for fledglings when they are just out of the nest, or waiting for mum or dad to bring some food down from the feeders. We mow the lawns only when absoloutely necessary. I know people will not be able to stand this sort of disarray for the sake of the birds. But it really does pay off.

We also have a pond, which is just a hole in the ground with liner. We made the edges a slope in, but not too steep. This means all of the birds drink from the edge, and most bathe there to, including the Sparrow hawks that we get occasionally. We also have a family of Moorhen visiting daily at the moment to, and the odd pair of ducks who come for a quick swim, then fly off.

Our garden isn't huge ...

gar.jpg

• 1. The pond and rockery behind it
  • 2. That's were the window is that I sit, and the feeders just in front of it.
  • 3. & 4. are hedges, which only ever get trimmed once a year in late autumn. People don't realise that cutting your hedges deters birds from nesting. Or worse, if they have already nested, they can abandon it and any young/eggs.
  • 5. Is a compost heap tucked in the corner in the shade. This is a great source for insects when the birds have young to feed.
  • The three circles you see are planted areas. Most of the weeds grow here instead of plants :LOL: But the one you see in the picture (above) of my feeders is the one the baby birds use most to hide in when just out of the nest.

Hope that all helps Marcia, and anyone else that's reading :)

Jo
xxx

Last edited:
Superb set Jo, lovely sharp and detailed. And what a lot of bird noise (y)

have to say great set of pic's.. the robin is spot on..

like the robin the most, never thought of utilising branches around feeders will have to give that a go thanks for the idea.

Jo it is the weight thing with the 100-400 the 400 is a lighter to me when I was able to try out Stiflers and I want it as a walkabout lens and I never use the 100-400 as a zoom anyway and don t think it is sharp at 400 sorry to use your thread as info but just thought you would be a good person to ask as you are usin one

Lovely set Jo. Compared to mine, your garden is HUGE. Just make the most of that lens while you still have it.

Jo, Many thanks for posting the detail about your set up. That really is helpful. Now, I need to create the time to sit and wait.

Best wishes,

Superb set Jo, lovely sharp and detailed. And what a lot of bird noise (y)

It is quite noisy eh!? It seems to be getting noisier by the day to! :eek:

Why the Robin in the top starring at me so gorgeously. The sprrow is looking so pretty.

Thank you. I am more than happy with the Robin shot for a change :)

have to say great set of pic's.. the robin is spot on..

Thank you!

like the robin the most, never thought of utilising branches around feeders will have to give that a go thanks for the idea.

Oh yes, you have to try it. It works a treat provided there aren't too many other more favourable places for them to perch ;)

Very nice set (y)

Thanks ;)

Jo it is the weight thing with the 100-400 the 400 is a lighter to me when I was able to try out Stiflers and I want it as a walkabout lens and I never use the 100-400 as a zoom anyway and don t think it is sharp at 400 sorry to use your thread as info but just thought you would be a good person to ask as you are usin one

Well if it purely down to weight, it may well be worth it. I've never tried a 100-400mm mind, so I couldn't say for sure personally. I don't mind at all btw :)

Lovely set Jo. Compared to mine, your garden is HUGE. Just make the most of that lens while you still have it.

Thanks Donna. I appreciate it must seem large, but where we used to live we had just under an acre, so it seems much smaller :LOL:

Jo, Many thanks for posting the detail about your set up. That really is helpful. Now, I need to create the time to sit and wait.

Best wishes,

Ingrid you're more than welcome. Like I said, I would love to think I can do something to help others achieve the same kind of satisfying results :)

Back