Toggers at Knockhill

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok hope its ok to ask a question here been looking over the shots taken from Knockhill and they are excellent but I was wondering what focal length of lens people use the most at Knockhill.

Looking at getting a lens for motorsport and Knockhill is probably where I would be most so would like to see what others are using.

Hi,

Knockhill is a great track for getting photo access to. I use fullframe and 1.3 crop cameras there. I would say that 200mm is a minimum for them. (I've used a 700mm there as well for bikes). You may get away with shorter minimum than a 200 if you have a 1.6 crop. If you can swing for either of them, the Canon 100-400 or the Nikon 200-400 seem very popular. If not then the best zoom up to 300mm.

It depends how happy you are to crop your photos. Personally I try to use a focal length that will fill the frame if thats what I want rather than crop down later.

Regards...
Steve

Scratch the Canon and the Nikon. Just noticed you have a Sony. Sorry don't know too much about their lens range.

You really need fast glass for motorsport, that Sigma is at 5.6 wide open at 400mm - you'll struggle with a lens like that at Knockhill unless you like shooting at really high isos

Thanks mate! Noones really properly explained, I think I'd rather have something 70-300 or 100-300 perhaps f4.

If you can get a 100-300 f/4 that should do the job fine, but Knockhill's a dark and (mostly) wet place, so the faster the glass you can manage the better

It's my local BTCC track Matt.. and it's 3 hours (well 2 in a Leon ;) ) from me, So no moaning about distance to get there.. I realise obviously you wont be used to using fuel to get onto your local track :LOL:

I've used 70-300 Canon kit lens (Non IS) and a sigma ? to 500mm, I have mixed feelings about the results I get with the lenses although I would say my best pics have come from the sigma due to it's focal range, which was really good at seat curves.

When people talk about fast glass they usually mean max aperture.. therefore you can have faster shutter speeds on dull days etc.. but is there a way to tell how fast a lens is at focusing. I sometimes wonder if my AF Servo isn't keeping up. To what extent do lenses focus quicker than others?

Hopefully see you at KH Matt, FITP maybe next time we wont pass each other without realising! I'll wear a pink carnation.

Hopefully see you at KH Matt, FITP maybe next time we wont pass each other without realising! I'll wear a pink carnation.

I'll be at the Autotrader stand at the BTCC - stocking up on the "free" bottles of Autoglym Super Resin :LOL:

Back