Tokina 20-35mm AF f/2.8 ATX PRO Lens

dod

TPer Emeritus
Name
Ebenezer McScrooge III
Edit My Images
Yes
Just wondering if anyone has used this lens and has any views. I can't find anyone stocking them locally to get my hands on it so would appreciate any comments. I've used manual tokina primes in the past and always found them to be optically good and fairly well built but.....

It seems to get a good write up and compared with the 17-40 looks like good value.

Aren't they (ish) the same price mate? That's comparing 7 Day Shop on the Canon and Dale Photographic on the Tokina - I haven't really had a good search. I've never used one, but I'd be inclined to go with the Canon 17-40 which is known to be a cracker, particularly as it's a lens which will spend a lot of time on the camera.

The other option is the Canon 17-85 EFS. I have that lens and it's a great performer. Again - there's nowt in it price wise.

Don't overlook the Tamron 17-35 SP AF17-35/2.8-4 Di LD Aspherical (IF) It should be considered in this line up and besides being wider (17mm) than the Tokina (20mm) it is also a constant f2.8 so very fast.

Steve said:
Don't overlook the Tamron 17-35 SP AF17-35/2.8-4 Di LD Aspherical (IF) It should be considered in this line up and besides being wider (17mm) than the Tokina (20mm) it is also a constant f2.8 so very fast.

Thanks Steve, it's on the list (quite a long list looking at a selection from Canon/Sigma/Tamron/Tokina) but I think it's F4 at the "long" end. Not that that's actually a problem.

What's peoples opinion on the EF-S mount, am I right in thinking this will be Canon's standard in mid-range SLR's in the future? The 17-85 does look attractive, good range and seems to be pretty good optically, presumably no future compatability issues with new bodies, I could lighten the bag by getting rid of my 28-105 as well, AND avoid having to buy a set of 77mm filters. Only problem is I don't think it will fit my old 1000FN back up.

dod said:
What's peoples opinion on the EF-S mount, am I right in thinking this will be Canon's standard in mid-range SLR's in the future? The 17-85 does look attractive, good range and seems to be pretty good optically, presumably no future compatability issues with new bodies.

To be honest mate no-one really knows, but given that they've just brought out the 60mm 2.8 macro EFS, that makes three new EFS lenses in rapid succession, so Canon do seem to be committing to these lenses. They're great quality lenses. If I'd realised when I bought my 17-85 EFS that I could have had the 17-40L for the same money, I'd probably have gone that route, but I'm glad now I didn't - the 17-85 EFS is a really handy walk around lens and the IS is great in low light. I'm wary of committing to too many EFS lenses for the same reasons as everyone else though. The sensible thing would seem to be to make all new bodies compatible with EFS lenses.

Sorry for my incorrect info dod, you are indeed correct about it not being a constant F4.

Again you are correct about the ef-s mount not being compatible with your 1000FN and currently only works with some mid range cameras such as the 300D, 350D and 20D. Although Canon have only recently adopted this mount and state that they intend to support it in the future, it will only be with certain camera bodies so long term you may find restrictions should you buy higher up the range. The one thing that I considered very important when buying all my glass was future compatibilities as good glass will never “wear out” unlike bodies where the implement of new technology will always attract.

Also be aware of certain other models of glass that are specifically made for “c format” digital sensors. Although the mount may always be compatible, the glass may not. They do this as the sensor is smaller and only uses the centre sections of the lens so it doesn’t have to be as precisely engineered to control distortions and chromatic aberrations.
Ultimately this could mean that you could out grow your glass if you add this type of lens now.

Steve said:
Also be aware of certain other models of glass that are specifically made for “c format” digital sensors.

Thanks Steve, I'd forgotten about that. Good advice :)

CT, you're doing a good job of selling that lens ;)

Back