Critique Tollesbury Lightship

Name
Colm
Edit My Images
Yes
I took this shot of the lightship in Tollesbury, Essex on Wednesday.
Composition was tricky because I didn't want any background, I was trying to concentrate on the contrast between the red, white, and blue.
Any thoughts?

Tollesbury Lightship
by Colm Ó Laoi, on Flickr

For me I understand what you were going for with the composition but it does feel a little tight for me I'm looking particularly at the bottom of frame, also I keep getting drawn to the clouds being rather blown out, I do like the idea of playing on the bold red white and blue but for me there is more work needed to really pull it off, I also personally would like to see it from a slightly different position so you can see a little more of the light ship if it were possible to walk another 10-20 paces to your left of where this was shot, it might not have been possible though

Matt

Hi there, really nice boat. I love lighthouse boat like this one. The red is beautifully red but the clouds are really burnt leaving only two tone of white and grey. Need a softer process on the sky.

Thanks for all the feedback.
I should be able to tone down the white, I also took a few others so I'll try the other angles too.
I'm afraid I've no idea what red channel mono conversion is though

Back