Tonight's efforts of a friends S14a...

Name
Luke
Edit My Images
Yes
Well pre-PP these were VERY orange, as I have no supplementary lighting...so instead of faffing with the WB, I just thought sod it! B&W it :)

I think it works, only problem was it had rained on the car and it showed up as LOADS of white spots on the car so I cloned what I could and it's made such a difference...with more time I reckon I could make the bodywork look a little "cleaner"

I also learnt my lesson from the other nights "late night shot" and kept ISO at 200 (this is as low as my camera goes :() Shooting between 20 and 30 second exposures

I'm quite pleased but as always, open to C&C

DSC_000722222.jpg

DSC_00022222.jpg

Thanks,

Luke

I love the feel of #1 I know you have to get rid of the number plate, but I think I would have tried to clone in the bumper or at leased covered with a darker colour.

Appart from that love the shot

I love the feel of #1 I know you have to get rid of the number plate, but I think I would have tried to clone in the bumper or at leased covered with a darker colour.

Appart from that love the shot

Thanks! Yeh I do agree, and it had crossed my mind but after all the cloning of the rain drops I just lost patience haha :bang:

Thanks for the positive feed back :) The pictures grow on me more every time I look at them

You got these up fast luke (y)

Right, first shot. When doing a full front shot / side shot / rear shot etc, it works really well is the background goes along with that so that the shot is symetrical. I just find the fences and buildings a bit off if you know what I mean.

Another thing, try and use a longer focal length so that is captures the proportions of the car correctly.

As for the exposure you've done really well (y)

oh and as for Rain drops on the car, don't try and clone them out. It's far too much work and won't look right, just work with the rain drops :).

If you want to upload or send me the original non-PP I'll have a look at the white balance and see how far it's off (y)

You got these up fast luke (y)

Right, first shot. When doing a full front shot / side shot / rear shot etc, it works really well is the background goes along with that so that the shot is symetrical. I just find the fences and buildings a bit off if you know what I mean.

Another thing, try and use a longer focal length so that is captures the proportions of the car correctly.

As for the exposure you've done really well (y)

oh and as for Rain drops on the car, don't try and clone them out. It's far too much work and won't look right, just work with the rain drops :).

If you want to upload or send me the original non-PP I'll have a look at the white balance and see how far it's off (y)

Ahh was hoping you might stumble across these :)

I see what you mean about having a symmetrical background but I think that would be hard to come by in this environment

Yeh I think i've hit the exposure on the head! :D

What do you mean regarding the proportions of the car? Looks fine to me :thinking:

Ahh honestly mate they are really orange and to be honest I didn't get the colour of the car at all so I shan't waste your time ;) I will be doing some day time shots with him soon hopefully...and I think it looks better with out the rain to be honest, definitely glad I got rid of them :)

Ahh was hoping you might stumble across these :)

I see what you mean about having a symmetrical background but I think that would be hard to come by in this environment

Yeh I think i've hit the exposure on the head! :D

What do you mean regarding the proportions of the car? Looks fine to me :thinking:

Ahh honestly mate they are really orange and to be honest I didn't get the colour of the car at all so I shan't waste your time ;) I will be doing some day time shots with him soon hopefully...and I think it looks better with out the rain to be honest, definitely glad I got rid of them :)

The Transport and Motorsport threads are the main area's I go on here lol.

Here's a simple example of a symetrical background.

4880850378_c80a24ff6f_z.jpg

Examples of proportions -
13mm
4824383380_a3844a55e6_z.jpg

32mm
4824380248_64f3173681_z.jpg

The wider the focal length of the lens the more distorted the car looks. Imagine having a 10mm lens for a portrait shot compared with a 50mm or 85mm for example (y)

No worries with the white balance one. It is a tricky thing to get used to. Just takes practice though :).

The Transport and Motorsport threads are the main area's I go on here lol.

Here's a simple example of a symetrical background.

4880850378_c80a24ff6f_z.jpg

Examples of proportions -
13mm
4824383380_a3844a55e6_z.jpg

32mm
4824380248_64f3173681_z.jpg

The wider the focal length of the lens the more distorted the car looks. Imagine having a 10mm lens for a portrait shot compared with a 50mm or 85mm for example (y)

No worries with the white balance one. It is a tricky thing to get used to. Just takes practice though :).

Some nice simple but very useful stuff there.

Thanks

Well pre-PP these were VERY orange, as I have no supplementary lighting...so instead of faffing with the WB, I just thought sod it! B&W it :)

Don't need much in the way of additional lighting - weak light sources can still provide enough light with careful composition (away from ambient light) and the right settings.

I started off lightpainting cars with a £4 led lantern from Wilkos :LOL:

Then there was a 12v cold cathode that cost about £15

A good torch can do the job if the subject car is a light colour. Look for cree LEDs for reliability and colour consistency.

These days my light is a secret (sorry) but I don't fear urban locations or ambient light like I once did; this was shot at f/13! Not cheap (£150) but cheaper and quicker than setting up multiple speedlights.

If you shoot in raw/nef you'll put an end to your orangey white balance problems in a flash. Why have you blanked the number plate out?

These days my light is a secret (sorry) but I don't fear urban locations or ambient light like I once did; this was shot at f/13! Not cheap (£150) but cheaper and quicker than setting up multiple speedlights.

I'm going to be trying my light source for painting in London tomorrow. Hope it will cope.

Love your light painting andy, still can't figure out those sphere's though lol.

That scooby is lit perfectly.

Back