Too good to be true?

Name
Will
Edit My Images
Yes
Saw a d700 advertised 'as new' on amazon last night - for £800! Emailed the seller this:

Hi there, im enquiring about the d700 you have advertised on amazon, is it still available? If so, could you tell me how many camera actuations it has? Also, what is your returns policy? Cheers, Will.

After which the listing was taken off amazon, but I received this email in return:

Hello,
the Nikon d700 camera, 'As New' condition with all accessories, UK model, comes with 1 year full warranty. Only used for one day as a demo , therefore it has not been used. The price is £801.00 + £8.00 for delivery ( 2 - 3 days by airmail ). Return policy is full money back in 30 days.
If you want to buy send me your full name and delivery address to have your order placed with Amazon.

Regards ,

Sounds a bit dodgy to me, what do you think?

It's a scam.
These pop up pretty regularly on Amazon.
Usually an "Ex-display UK spec model located in Italy"
WTF is a UK spec camera doing in a shop in Italy?

I would want to know why a UK model needs to be shipped to you, in the UK, by airmail.

And the fact that the listing has been pulled form amazon so you cannot buy through amazon.

Back away from the scam.

Thought so. If I hadnt bothered to email the seller first and had ust bought it straight away, would I have been covered by amazon?

Look familiar?
sorry it's sort of upside down, copy and paste from my email.

Hello,
we will deal through Amazon. i would need your name and address so i can contact Amazon and ask them to setup an order for you, and for delivery purposes. i had to inform Amazon about who is my buyer. after that they will contact you for payment and delivery.

i ship marked "Gift" so VAT or Duty are not applicable.

Many Thanks

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 11:29 AM, Me <me> wrote:
Hi,
thanks for keeping me informed.
the item being in Italy is of concern to me, any import duty imposed would raise the price considerably and it was listed as being in the UK.
Also could you enlighten me on the odd procedure, I've never had to purchase in this way off Amazon before.
Thanks,
Me.

On 15 Nov 2008, at 17:06, info.prezzybox@gmail.com wrote:

Hello again,
the Nikon D700 Digital SLR Camera Body Only is still available for £810 + £10 delivery. i would need your name and address so i can contact Amazon and ask them to setup an order for you, and for delivery purposes. i had to inform Amazon about who is my buyer. after that they will contact you for payment and delivery.

Many Thanks

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 2:26 PM, info.prezzybox@gmail.com <info.prezzybox@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,
the Nikon D700 Digital SLR Camera Body Only is new (it's an ex demo therefore it has hardly been used and is as good as new it just had to be listed as 'used' as the box has been opened), UK model, sealed, comes with 12 months UK warranty, receipt, all manufacturer supplied accessories. the total price is £810 + £10 for delivery. if you want to buy send me your full name and address and i will contact Amazon asap to process your order. i will ship from Italy, delivery will take 3 - 5 days by airmail international. my return policy is full money back in 30 days or replace the product if its faulty.

Thought so. If I hadnt bothered to email the seller first and had ust bought it straight away, would I have been covered by amazon?

It doesn't work, that's why they have to contact you from outside the marketplace.
I ordered one through Amazon and the seller refunded me saying that they don't sell cameras!
I think somebody somehow stole the shop!

Found that email too.

Amazon Payments has refunded the amount of £705.50 from limavadybooks to your credit card, for the full or partial total of order 736-5340176-3300918. Please find the reasons behind these actions outlined below.

Item: Refund for Nikon D700 Digital SLR Camera Body Only [Electronics]
Refund: £705.50
Reason for refund: Out of stock
Memo from seller: we received your order, and contacted amazon as we dont sell cameras. Please contact amazon to discuss. they closed my account, while they investigated, now they tell me to submit refund, any questions call me on PHONE NUMBER. shop hours 10am-5.30pm.

Seller: limavadybooks
Seller contact information: http://s1.amazon.co.uk/exec/varzea/ts/customer-glance/A386WOU7BEP1ID

Total refund for this order: £705.50

Back