Torn between lens choice

I shot Canon full frame for 10 years before switching to Fuji and have also borrowed a 5D since switching. Yes, you get shallower depth of field with full frame and the potential for nicer images, but I found with my eldest son the Canon kit rarely came out, as it was significantly heavier/bulkier - which makes a difference when you factor in all the stuff you “need” with a small child, so most pictures were taken on mobile phones.
The Fuji is much smaller, the lenses are also smaller, so it comes with us everywhere. The jpegs are much better straight out of camera so there’s less time in Lightroom and the AF is better than my Canon.

That is pretty my my thought process. The 6D I had before produced great images and was good in low light but I ended up not taking it with me as I could not be bothered to lug the bag around etc so I sold it. I think the Fuji + 35MM F2 would be a decent amount smaller and lighter that I would be happy just to bang it on the back seat of the car.

It’s small enough to go in the changing bag!

Ended up buying a Sony A6300 with 35mm F1.8 Lens.

Seems tiny compared to my old 6D!

Off to see the Bruges Xmas markets next weekend so hoping to get a 16mm wider angle lens this week to take with me.

Ended up buying a Sony A6300 with 35mm F1.8 Lens.

Seems tiny compared to my old 6D!

Off to see the Bruges Xmas markets next weekend so hoping to get a 16mm wider angle lens this week to take with me.

Nice, I had the A6000 and I got a lot of good photographs from it. The Sony A series really are great cameras.

I did find that when the children started getting older and faster the AF would struggle to keep up and getting pin sharp photos could be a challenge, especially when it was a quick grab shot for the moment and low light it could struggle a little to lock on. My dog was also too quick for it. I ended up trading it in and going back to a DSLR (D750 + Nikon 24-70mm 2.8) and the difference in AF speed and accuracy is very noticeable, I hardly lose a shot now even in low light.

I would like to go back to a CSC system as the DSLR is a little bulky for the occasions which I want to use it for. I like full frame so to get comparable AF speeds I think the A7iii would be the obvious choice as I don't really need anything as expensive as the A9.

Back