Total kit confusion.....

Edit My Images
Yes
Hey,

If you take a look in my kit bag you can see what I have at the moment....

I am looking to sell my 350D with the 18-55 (not on here due to rules) after which I will have c.£235...

Now obviously to upgrade or add kit I need more money now thats not a great problem..just a case of patience whilst saving...

Now heres the problem...I was intending to get a 10-20 Sigma...but after conversations with relatives they think this would be a terrible move as I have no permanent standard lens (the 17-85 is my dads)

So I have a few questions;

1. Is it such a terrible idea to get the 10-20 considering I have access to the 17-85 75% of the time...

2. c.£300 for a standard lens isn't a great deal and I'm currently looking at Sigma 17-70, can't really justify the £650 for canons 17-55......I am not overwhelmed by the 17-85 I currently use...is the sigma going to be an improvement? (possibly a stupid question)

3. What are residual values like on secondhand kit? I see a 24-70 2.8 canon on here for sale and am obviously tempted but don't yet have the money....If I was to buy this and then want to sell it on how much can I expect to lose?

4. Have I been scared off the 10-20 too easily? would it be foolish to get this without having a standard zoom (note photography subjects below)

The only reason I ask these questions is that I have spent serious money on kit in other hobbies before only to find I dont use it enough to justify the price.....

So the ulitmate and final question is

5. Are £500+ lenses that much better than say the sigma's and will an amateur notice it, or more importantly will their peers:LOL:?

Photography subjects; Architecture, Landscapes, Cityscapes, Cars, People

A lot of these questions I can probably answer myself but you know how it is...

Kind Regards,

AJ

Buy a secondhand 10-20 for £170 (norfolk) great pictures brilliant angles then purchase a secondhand 17-70.

Message me if you want pointing in the direction of the used sigma 10-20 canon fit....its not mine

First off, pro spec lenses like Canon's L glass will hold their value far better than standard lenses. Now, in itself thats great, but you do need to have the cash in the first place, and as you have already said, you can't really justify forking out the amount of money required.

One compromise might be something like the Sigma 24-70mm f2.8. It's an "EX" lens, which is basically Sigma's pro spec, it's also available for under £300....! It's certainly one of the best standard lenses you'll get for its money! It will also compliment a 10-20mm nicely as and when you get to that purchase.

Why not check through some of your shots, check the file info and make a note of the focal length used for each, that will tell you which lens you would be best off going for at this point.

Thanks for your replies

One compromise might be something like the Sigma 24-70mm f2.8. It's an "EX" lens, which is basically Sigma's pro spec, it's also available for under £300....! It's certainly one of the best standard lenses you'll get for its money! It will also compliment a 10-20mm nicely as and when you get to that purchase.

That seems like a very nice lens....huge filter size! Think this is going to get a test run in the shop....

Buy a secondhand 10-20 for £170 (norfolk)

Didn't find it but I think from the last post I have reassessed my needs sensibly..

Many thanks...

In your sig it says you have a 50mm, if you find you're going to be using the wide angle more, landscapes etc go for the 10 - 20mm and "zoom with your feet" for the rest.

Didn't find it but I think from the last post I have reassessed my needs sensibly..

You wont find it cos it aint on this site, maybe thats why i told you to meesage me :bang:

Anyway some other clever lad has and is on his way contacting the seller

Plus read the posting above i agree. Youre not going to get much of a building in the shot with a 24mm with a crop sensor.:thinking:

You wont find it cos it aint on this site, maybe thats why i told you to meesage me

Alrite, alrite, calm down, calm down....

In your sig it says you have a 50mm, if you find you're going to be using the wide angle more, landscapes etc go for the 10 - 20mm and "zoom with your feet" for the rest.

This is why I like forums....allows others to point out the obvious when you have your eyes blinkered....thanks Craikeybaby quite agree with that...

The 10-20 has a great field of view and the image quality is as good as a Canon 17-40L

by the way i am calm ;)

:LOL:good good

when your posts are

whats that all about?

I had a look at the 17-40L in the shop the other day at the same time as the 10-20 and I must say:nuts: I've been dreaming of that lens for the last few years as it seems to give wonderful results....but 17-40 just isn't enough range....although feet zoom....

The 17-40 is an awesome lens. On a crop body though it wouldn't be that wide. I did have the 10-22 for a few short weeks [bought on impulse] and wasn't at all happy with the results, I didn't like the croppage but for EF-S it's your only real option for WA.

The 24-70 is also an awesome lens but weighs like a baby seal :| Consider not only the cash investment but also the weight. Are you looking to go FF in the near future?

Are you looking to go FF in the near future?

I may open a whole can of worms here......but in the future I see FF becoming cheaper and therefore it seems a natural progression...although I have done no research to substantiate my thoughts...

Looking at the Sigma range last night I noticed alot of their lenses seem to be 'DG' or crop sensor specific...

I went for the 17-40 as a standard lens and because I want to upgrade to a 5D later, It's fantastic, it isn't ultra wide on a crop but still a great standard zoom.

If it was me with a 40D I would go for a Canon 10-22, same price as the 17-40 too.
Landscapes, cityscapes and cars would be great with ultrawide, you have the 50mm for everthing else :)

I may open a whole can of worms here......but in the future I see FF becoming cheaper and therefore it seems a natural progression...although I have done no research to substantiate my thoughts...

Looking at the Sigma range last night I noticed alot of their lenses seem to be 'DG' or crop sensor specific...

Alot are DG specific as this is their main market. If you are looking at FF then head toward the EF lenses. They are very useable on a crop now and means you won't have to sell everything later on.

This is my thoughts too and I made a decision to make any significant lens purchase FF compatible, though sigma do have many FF compatibles. However, the Sigma 10-20 is a fab lens and as there is no real alternatives that are FF compatible I am definately considering breaking my rules for this lens.

I am also firmly convinced that quality (pro) lenses are an investment that's worth making and if I had a choice to spend £1000 on a camera or a lens I would go for lens every time (assuming I had a working camera ;)). To back this up I shoot Nikon and was looking at the 70-200 f2.8VR and it can be bought brand new for about £1200 (UK stock) when S/H through a dealer at Exec++ or Mint- generally goes for £1000 (and that's probably 3-5 years old). If you buy this S/H and sell it in a few years you'll loose even less, if anything. The residuals tend to be better for OEM (Nikon / Canon) lenses than for Sigmas (the others e.g. Tamron are even worse). Remember that lenses in good condition are in good condition regardless of how old they are - look about some 10yr+ f2.8s can be found quite cheaply privately.

Therefore to answer your original post - stop beating yourself up get the 10-20 and look for a Canon f2.8 mid range FF compatible in good condition S/H through here and snap it up. (y)

Landscapes, Architecture and Cityscapes beg for the 10-20mm and people and cars can be happily shot with a 50mm (you may need to work abit but that's always good for your photography). After all you'll only miss out 25% of the time you don't have access to the 17-85mm until you get your mid range f2.8.

Sigma's only option for the super wide range for a potential FF upgrade later is their 12-24mm. I have this lens and love it! I've used it on my 30D, D30 and film bodies and have been delighted with the results off all three. :) Of course, it also has the advantage of fitting in nicely alongside the 24-70mm.....!

True, but no HSM combined with the near £200 premium you have to be fairly sure you are going to go full frame in the future..

must admit thought fits in perfectly with the 24-70...

Hello again!

Right today I have been offered a 6month old 24-70 2.8 sigma for £200....

is this a good price or slightly over the odds?

I have found one on ebay that sold buy it now recently for £175 + £10 p+p

any opinions?

Regards

AJ

Hmmm...well if you know the history and that it's been well looked after, then not too bad I guess. However, did you realise that One Stop Digital are selling them new for £220 at the moment? So long as you were happy buying from HK that might be worth looking into

hmm very interesting....I've seen them mentioned around here before...

Pro's and Cons of using them? One Stop Digital that is....

I think the price is a little steep...so I'll offer him c.£170 and see what he says....
Got nothing to lose...

I'm unaware of its history...

Back