totally confused with dscl resizing

Name
sam beaman
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, am having trouble working out what dscl want, spent all day yesterday researching and am still none the wiser really, now all i want is some 6x4 hard copies of some of my prints that i have taken with my new dslr, now i have read that you need to resize with photoshop using the image- resize- and then am i correct you type in the pixels as 1800 by 1200 in the top box with the resample and constrain boxes ticked (does this result in loss of quality?) or do i change the document box to 6 by 4in, or i have read that you crop using the crop tool and type the dimensions in the boxes and do i just select with the marquee the entire photo as i want the whole picture not just a small part of it and then apply, im so confused all i want is the best quality print i can get do either of these options result in the same output? and they ask for 300 dpi and the box in photshop is ppi?? please someone can you just give me a quick walk through how to prepare the files for printing.

sam.

There are a number of ways you can do this.

This is what I do for my lab (not DSCL but similar setup).......

Open my edited image.......
Use the crop tool with the dimensions set to 6" x 4" Resolution 300ppi (pixels/inch) to crop my image......

For the next bit I have an action set up on my ctrl+f7 key which does the following.....

Save As> Jpeg quality 10> into my 6x4 lab folder> close original file WITHOUT saving> end action.

I have other actions/keystrokes setup for other sizes.

Alternatively, if you always want the full frame and it is a 3:2 ratio, you could set up an action .... Fit image 1800 px : 1800 px (assuming the original is saved at 300ppi) and then save it that way. Then the longest edge will always be 1800 pixels regardless of whether it is portrait or landscape.

Ignore the fact that some people call dpi, this relates to press printing.

Thankyou for your replies, this is what i now understand, i open my images in photoshop go to crop type in 6x4 300 dpi then marquee the whole pic apply and save to to a folder and send them the pics i dont need to go to image resize at all.

Sam

i always save my images as 18x12 inches and set dpi as 300. then the ratio will work when i print anything 3:2 so 6x4, 9x6, 12x8, 12x8, 18x12,24x16 and 30x20 the latter two would ovbisouly need to be saved at that size but if im going lower i still send the better resolution images...

Back