Tower block star trail

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
I've done a few trails before, but never really been happy with them. This is the first half decent one I've managed to get.

This is looking roughly North East (I think). The lights behind the trees and typical urban streets, the dotted lines are aircraft and I have no idea what the trails at the top of the tree line are !

116 images @ 30sec, f4.0 No pp other than a straighten tweak

tower stars by c20let, on Flickr

Last edited:
Lot better than anything I've done, rather like that :)

Matthew, ISO 100.

I think I got away with it being urban because lots of the lights were hidden by the trees that are sat on a ridge, there is nothing in front of the tower block, which helps.

I'd like to get the trails as a full circle but I reckon that'd take over 2 hours and it was pretty chilly to be stood about!

Matthew, ISO 100.

I think I got away with it being urban because lots of the lights were hidden by the trees that are sat on a ridge, there is nothing in front of the tower block, which helps.

I'd like to get the trails as a full circle but I reckon that'd take over 2 hours and it was pretty chilly to be stood about!

I'd be tempted to suggest upping the ISO (y) maybe take it to ISO400 and reducing the exposure time as otherwise you will blow the detail in the tower block but upping the ISO will bring out more of the stars (y) check out my signature above there is a link to my guide of star trails (y)

Matt

I've done another edit, the white balance was bugging me, its quite obviously off if you look at the log wall things in the foreground, this has also had a brighten up too as it was maybe a bit dark..

Matthew, yeah I could of gone higher with ISO, I didn't spend too much time playing before shooting. I've also found that shorter exposures make the trails less "dotty" if you know what I mean.

Tower block startrail - edit by c20let, on Flickr

Back