Tower Bridge from above

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
These are from a couple of weeks back on one of my rare trips into the office and I happened to have a bit of free time over lunch, so decided to take a wander down to tower bridge. There is also a short video which I have linked at the end.

I wasn't totally happy with them when I saw them on the screen so headed back a week later, first thing in the morning. Got some shots that I am sure would have been much better, but we will never really know as I had some "issues" and now my drone is resting at the bottom of the Thames. :clap:

Image-001 by David Walker, on Flickr

Image-002 by David Walker, on Flickr

Image-003 by David Walker, on Flickr

View: https://youtu.be/7L6nFb3lbLQ?si=6dhtnE1DYjxt8wix

That doesn't sound good...

What are the rules about drones in central London? I would have thought that was a no go area.

What are the rules about drones in central London? I would have thought that was a no go area.

Me too, though I have no particular information.

Probably now is the time to do it, if legal. I foresee a time when you won’t be able to see landmarks like the Tower for a cloud of tourist drones, much like the Mona Lisa is obscured by hordes of selfie-taking sightseers :(

Oh bugger not good :(

The images on the other hand are :)
Thanks. Fortunately the DJI cover is very good and I had a replacement in 4 days.
Cracking video too!
Thanks. I have found myself getting much more into the video side if things than I was expecting.

Me too, though I have no particular information.

Probably now is the time to do it, if legal. I foresee a time when you won’t be able to see landmarks like the Tower for a cloud of tourist drones, much like the Mona Lisa is obscured by hordes of selfie-taking sightseers :(
So in London there are five main flight restriction zones. Battersea heliport, Hyde park, city centre, canary wharf and city airport. That covers most of the major London landmarks but outside of those zones you can fly, following the CAA rules of course. Then you have each London borough having their own additional rules to be aware of.

1000008688.jpg

Tower bridge actually sits on the edge of one of the restriction zones, so you can fly to the east, but not to the west.

1000008690.jpg

Thanks for clarifying - my air law studies were done in the days before drones, but given it is allowed, I'm surprised that there aren't loads of people doing it! I imagine someone will spoil it for everyone else sooner or later though.

Thanks for clarifying - my air law studies were done in the days before drones, but given it is allowed, I'm surprised that there aren't loads of people doing it! I imagine someone will spoil it for everyone else sooner or later though.
I can see rules getting tighter too. Like that will address the people that already have no problem breaking the rules.

Back