Track Day photography shot on a slant?

Edit My Images
No
I've been on two track days recently and looked at the photos that have been taken. I've noticed that they seem to be shot between a 20-30 degree angle compared to the horizon and also the car itself to make it look like it's going up and to the right. Is this a style thing or does this make the photos look better? I have an inclination to rotate them so that the car is more like 5-10 degrees rather than 20-30 degrees!

Thanks for the insight. Is the general 'rule of thumb' 20-30 degrees or does this happen to be the photographer's style?

I'm not the biggest fan of reediting other people's shots, because I assume they are better than me at their trade.

I was also wondering whether it just happened to be the easiest way to follow the motion of the cars

Genuinely just curious here!

Thanks for the insight. Is the general 'rule of thumb' 20-30 degrees or does this happen to be the photographer's style?

I'm not the biggest fan of reediting other people's shots, because I assume they are better than me at their trade.

I was also wondering whether it just happened to be the easiest way to follow the motion of the cars

Genuinely just curious here!

I think the significantly jaunty angle is a fashion / style thing, certainly many do it but quite how far is really to taste

Motor races are clearly exciting to watch, but a single frame capturing a car apparently perfectly still just looks like it was parked, so the angle adds a hint of interest

There's no 'rule' of how jaunty is best that I'm aware of

Dave

@ukaskew conveniently just posted some great track day shots with a variety of jaunty angles, and some level :)

He's used a slowish shutter speed and panning to get these more interesting photos showing movement through blur

Dave

@ukaskew conveniently just posted some great track day shots with a variety of jaunty angles, and some level :)

If I was shooting F1 with full stands or FIAWEC with colourful backgrounds etc I'd probably have a higher percentage of level shots, but a UK club circuit on a wet October day? Anything to make them a little more dynamic!

There are also sometimes entirely practical reasons (more so if shooting from behind the fence as I do, so limited options), For example I frame a lot of my shots at Quarry Corner at Castle Combe at an angle so I can still give cars a bit of room to breath in the frame whilst also cutting out the not entirely photogenic area where there is a burger bar and ambulance parked up.

I think typically official track day photographers use higher shutter speeds to make sure they have plenty of keepers to sell, so they've already lost the dynamic nature of slow shutter speeds from the equation.

Back