Trail Cams-beginner advice please

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been thinking about a trail camera for nearly a year. I finally bite the bullet and picked one up at Bird fair today. I thought I would ask for tips in their use as it will be the first time I've used one. I have access to some private land so won't be in public. If any one can recommend a security cable lock that would be great. Thanks.

Last edited:
If you have a handy tree/fence post etc then the strap that comes with most, if not all, trailcams is OK, but I've found using a tripod is much more convenient. I use an old cheap one as super rigidity is not needed. 7dayshop sell cheap ones that would be fine.

I find videos are more interesting than still shots, but it down to personal preference.

If you have a garden I'd try it there first to see what settings you like.

On the private land set it up close to routes used by animals - badgers for example can leave very clear tracks. If you want to bait the area, try peanuts. They are cheap and mice, voles, rats, foxes and badgers will eat them.

We use rechargeable batteries in the ours and find they need recharging, depending on the activity, about every three days or so. Unless I can get batteries out and new ones in quickly, the camera loses the date and time, which is really annoying when you view the recordings.

Dave

PS Checking the videos the following morning becomes addictive.

Hi,i have the metal locking box on mine ,its handy if it stays in one place ,also get a ground spike ,best bit of kit for the trail cam you can get

I have toyed with the idea of getting one of these too, it should be ideal to check out what is about on land for say if you want to sit out in an hide say, I would be interested in how you get on with using the trail camera rob-nikon

I took Dens advice and ordered a ground spike. I have the trail cam set it up in the garden to try out settings like IR strength and video, our dog seems to be the perfect test subject. I'm waiting on a cable lock to arrived before it goes out further afield. Although the cable lock won't stop it being stolen if they have the right gear at least it stops an opportunistic theft. So far quite impressed with video, daylight colour is good quality, night IR is useable (you can identify what the animal is).

Before I purchased the bushnell trail cam I was unsure about red or black IR LEDs. Although the Red IR LEDs don't give off a glow at lights up the surrounding bush they do glow red so you can see them. The best way to describe them is a low powered red LED. You can see each LED gently glow red when the camera is triggered.

I have toyed with the idea of getting one of these too, it should be ideal to check out what is about on land for say if you want to sit out in an hide say, I would be interested in how you get on with using the trail camera rob-nikon

That's exactly what I want to use it for. I think I may start up a thread and add videos as I get more. I'm off to the lakes soon, I'm sure the B and B will let me set it up in their wood. They have deer and red squirrel visit so I will hopefully get some good videos.

I have managed to get the trail camera out whilst away in the Lake District. Unfortunately didn't get many videos although I managed to locate a few grey squirrels that were very close to a red squirrel population and report them. So far it's worked well, the locations I tried have meant it had to point towards the sun at some points of the day so there was some flaring at times.

A picked up a cable lock to secure it and that works really well, it be pulled tight to grip a tree so the strap isn't needed. Setting up natural camo around the cable lock was interesting. I set it up very close to a footpath so it was definitely needed.

I have managed to get the trail camera out whilst away in the Lake District. Unfortunately didn't get many videos although I managed to locate a few grey squirrels that were very close to a red squirrel population and report them. So far it's worked well, the locations I tried have meant it had to point towards the sun at some points of the day so there was some flaring at times.

A picked up a cable lock to secure it and that works really well, it be pulled tight to grip a tree so the strap isn't needed. Setting up natural camo around the cable lock was interesting. I set it up very close to a footpath so it was definitely needed.
Rob, you can use some small wooden wedges to jam the camera in place once fastened around the tree. It helps keep the camera more stable if greys or birds land on them. The cable locks tend to slip a bit after a few months use.

Rob, you can use some small wooden wedges to jam the camera in place once fastened around the tree. It helps keep the camera more stable if greys or birds land on them. The cable locks tend to slip a bit after a few months use.
Thanks for the advice, I did try putting small sticks behind the camera to angle it properly. I wasn't aware they tend to secure after a bit of use, your advice will help secure it tightly in the future. I have picked up a ground spike which is what I plan to use most of the time.

I have 2 Trail cameras. If you need security to stop them being nicked you are definately on your last line of defence. Hiding them from view is better. There is no great risk where I use mine, but I still try to set up the cameras at last light and recover them at first light (winter is best for that).

If a miscreant finds your camera and cannot nick it he may well try to wreck it.

The Forestry Commission near me use Trail cameras for seurity when they are leaving plant unattended. Some have been nicked along with their cases. They mount them very high now.

Back