Beginner Transfer mini DV tape to PC

nog

Name
Keith
Edit My Images
Yes
We have an old Samsung digital camcorder, VP-D70 Pal and quite a few tapes. Have just tried some of the tapes and they play ok on the camcorder. Would like to get them onto PC which runs windows 10. As camcorder has fire wire out would I be correct if I put a fire wire card in PC, got a cable and some software I would be good to go. Or is life not that simple.
Windows used to have a half decent movie maker I believe, so was going to see if that would run on windows 10.or software with kit below.
Looking at Amazon would this be suitable https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-c...00006B8C3/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Any suggestions on what kit to get and is fire wire the way to go. Cheers

Last edited:
Thanks so software for windows 10 looks ok. Second link is more for a MAC but fire wire seems the way to go. Thanks again

Thanks so software for windows 10 looks ok. Second link is more for a MAC but fire wire seems the way to go. Thanks again
Yes, FireWire will do the job. Not used Win 10, but I think win7 had movie maker which would do the job.

Yes, FireWire will do the job. Not used Win 10, but I think win7 had movie maker which would do the job.
I am still using Windows 7 and it does have Movie Maker, I use the firewire port to get my Mini DV content on the PC to edit :)

Ok thanks for all the replies. Looks like should be ok to go with the Amazon card. cheers

I would use HDV Split to transfer your footage, its a great free program that will transfer footage and accurately split clips automatically for you.

I would use HDV Split to transfer your footage, its a great free program that will transfer footage and accurately split clips automatically for you.
Thanks that should make it easier

I still have my Mini DV Camcorder, just thinking I have lots of tape with video on them from years ago. Never seem to get the motivation for getting them on my PC to be edited, maybe because of all the faffing about with the firewire cable, it seems to take an age to do them. Mini DV tape feels so ancient now, I still have brand new Mini DV boxed up and un opened. Not sure I will ever get to use the tape now....

I still have my Mini DV Camcorder, just thinking I have lots of tape with video on them from years ago. Never seem to get the motivation for getting them on my PC to be edited, maybe because of all the faffing about with the firewire cable, it seems to take an age to do them. Mini DV tape feels so ancient now, I still have brand new Mini DV boxed up and un opened. Not sure I will ever get to use the tape now....
I have just done my vhs-c [emoji12] ones to my PC, they do take a while but well worth it.

I have just done my vhs-c [emoji12] ones to my PC, they do take a while but well worth it.
I was going to buy into the vhs-c format many years ago, but just something else I never did follow through with. I did like using the Mini DV tape when it was all the rage, loved the quality it gave me via my three chip Panasonic Camcorder. It was fun to use, but very clunky having to download via firewire to edit. While modern video is so instant to view via sd card, does not feel as exciting to use, maybe some of the mystery has gone..

Amazon delivered card yesterday so will put in PC later or very likely get my lad to do it, kids are great sometimes:)

You need to play the tape to record, if it is on long play and is a 45min one takes a bit longer...

Roughly how long does a hour take, TBH thought it would be quick via firewire. TIA

VHS & Mini DV/HDV transfers in real time, so one hour of footage take one hour to transfer.

If you have loads to transfer, don't forget to factor in the HD space needed, unless you are going to copy, edit and burn to DVD.

Back