Beginner Transfering data

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, just a quick question about memory cards, is it best to remove the card from the camera and use a reader plugged into my pc (rather than turn camera on and of all the time), or use a cable connected to my pc and the camera to transfer images ??. also is it ok to delete images from the card using my pc rather than the camera??.
Yes I know I am slow to learn lol.

Last edited:
I use a card reader in the pc and then format the card once back in the camera.

Not sure how you get them off the card matters but I always format in camera. It's then ready for use.

I use a card reader or a cable I don't think it matters, but always format in the camera not the pc

If your card is an SD card then there ought to be an SD card reader on your computer but card readers are fairly inexpensive. Anything like a CF, CFast, CFE or XQD require dedicated card readers so suggest using a cable from camera to computer (as I find CF card readers 'fragile' at best and anything else extremely expensive).

Easy to format the card within the camera. Lots of people do not recommend deleted images one by one in camera...so once copied over and backed up format the card.

I either transfer via a card reader (at home) or via wireless using FPT (when travelling to transfer to tablet).
If using a card reader, try and get one which is USB 3, transfer speeds can be much higher that way.

I always delete / format in camera - on Sony cameras there is a hidden database file the camera maintains which helps it track all the images on the card, and the camera knows to keep this updated.

I always use a card reader and delete via the computer. Deleting doesn't remove data, even formatting may not what will remove data is by overwriting what is on the card already
better to wear out a card reader than a camera every time.
deleted photos can be recovered anyway using Sandisk RescuePro or other rscue programs

Last edited:
Cable to PC and delete photos via camera - I've always done it that way

Card reader rather than plugging straight in to the camera. Although we no longer have a cat, I still break out into a cold sweat when I remember catching a camera she had pulled off when her tail snagged the cable...

FWIW, a USB3 reader is quicker than the built in reader in this laptop.

I do either, it doesn't matter.

Thanks everyone, I know it was a bit of a dumb question, but wanted to make sure I was'nt doing any harm lol.

99% of the time I will use a card reader to transfer images from memory card to computer. I'm often on location and need to process some images, and occassionally I've left card readers at home, so I keep a usb cable in my camera bag, so assuming I've not forgotten laptop as well, I can use the camera as the card reader.

I always re-format memory cards in camera, and reset file numbers.

Back