Transferring a domain name?

Messiah Khan

Santa is your dad
Name
Alasdair Fowler
Edit My Images
Yes
Well it seems my website has just stopped working. It now just goes to the hosts website, and I can't access the ftp site. Im guessing its because I havent payed for ages, although they never asked me for money but meh. Im just wondering how you would go about transferring the domain name? The domain is www.afowler.co.uk which I really want to keep. Do I just find a new host, and get them to transfer the domain, or does the origional host have to do something? And how would I go about proving the domain is mine? Ive had it that long, I can't remember many details they sent me.:( Also any reccomendations for a host would be appreciated. Its going to be used as an online photography portfolio, hopefully using flash embedded in a html page, and ideally with some sort of message board if that helps.

Hehe, yup.. thats me. How did you find that out? Im presuming this is what the hosting company would use when transferring it.

Well, according to Nominet you have this information about your domain name......

Registrar:
Easyspace Ltd t/a Easyspace Ltd [Tag = EASYSPACE]
URL: http://www.easyspace.com

Relevant dates:
Registered on: 29-Apr-2005
Renewal date: 29-Apr-2009
Last updated: 30-Apr-2007

So the domain name is not up for renewal at least.

Some how the 'tag' has dropped off and left it pointing at your host..... perhaps they need some money from you.

You can go somewhere else and, generally, they will get things transferred for you. My experience is it's never as easy as it should be...... :(

Ok you beat me to it....... :clap:

Here is the details regarding your domain
Woops, a bit slow with this response :)

Capturae.JPG

Did you register your domain name with the same company you got the hosting with? If so they need to release the domain name, or change its tag (this has a propper name which I cant for the life of me remember). I would recommend going to http://www.ukreg.com/ and registering the name there. IE type sign up to the site, then enter the domain name in their checker thing, it will say something like "if you are the owner of this domain and wish to transfer it to us, then click here". Do that and they will tell you how to transfer a name from someone else to them. Then when you get any new hosting you simply point the domain name from them to your new hosts (its very simple and just involves filling in a few boxes and waiting a while for it to sort itself out)

If your domain is registered with Easyspace, you will have to ask them to change the TAG on your domain to your new hosting service's TAG (they'll tell you what it is). The new one can then legally transfer it. Without the change of TAG it'll go nowhere so you'll need to contact Easyspace and pay all your old bills :D

This is on their help page so maybe you can just log in and change the name servers to a new hosting site ?

Changing where your website is hosted
To transfer domains where Easyspace is the current registrar you need to change the name servers that they point to. These will be given to you by your new host. If a domain is registered with another registrar then these changes must be made through them.

It is not necessary to change Registrars when changing who you choose to host your website. Where there is a change of registrar a release fee is charged. For more information about this please see Additional Domain Services on the price list or contact support using Raise a Ticket.

Changing Name Servers
To Update Name Servers through the Easyspace ServiceCentre, from www.easyspace.com

Login to the Control Panel using your username and password.
Select Domains
Select your domain and Proceed
Select the Name Servers tab
Edit Nameserver details for the domain and click Proceed
The transfer takes 24-48 hours to complete, which is the time it takes for these DNS changes to be propagated over the Internet.

Get yourself a new host first (and pay them ;) ) They will supply new DNS numbers, you might be able to change the DNS numbers yourself depending on what level of access Easyspace give you, if not they will happily do it for you.

Well I took the lazy and easy option out and payed for another years hosting with Easyspace. I now however have to wait till tomorrow to get it sorted as they've sent my new login name and password to the email listed in my account.. which is an old one I can't access. But I can't request a new password, as they'll send that one to the old email as well.:thinking:

Thanks for all the help you lot btw.:)

Back