Transferring digital images to a large canvas

Name
Graeme
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a large canvas (7' x 5') that I want to use for a collage of images, probably 5 or 6 of them.

I want each of the images, when transferred to resemble polaroid transfers such as this:

hydrangea.jpg

Which I would then "crack" in various places.

I have an Epson Stylus 2400 and can get hold of pretty much any paper I might need.

Has anyone ANY idea how I might transfer the pictures to the canvas.

I asked this at my photography club and someone said they'd seen this done by wetting prints and transferring the image but they couldn't give me any more detail.

So I'm stumped.

Polaroid transfers relied on the fact that the image was on a substrate, that would float off the base material. The problem you are going to have is that getting inkjet prints wet will cause the ink to run, plus there is no real substrate to the paper..

Now you could try using conventional photographic prints, and remove the top substrate that holds the emulsion.. One advantage of this is that the paper is resin coated on both sides before the emulsion is applied. By de laminating the paper you in fact remove the top resin layer along with the emulsion. This used to be the way Canvas prints were produced before inkjet media was available on canvas.

Sound easy but may not be. Paper manufacturers go to a lot of trouble ensuring their papers don't come apart. Not a good idea to have a load of emulsion coated around processor rollers.

The technique involves teasing the paper apart at one corner and then gently seperating the 2 layers. Now with canvas bonding a layer of heat seal laminate was attached to the print before de lamination. This strengthened the top part of the print that carried the emulsion. Now I don't think you want that as this would destroy the distressed look you are looking for.

It's unlikely you'll get a clean strip. There will be paper particles still hanging onto the back of the resin coat layer. You'll need to remove these, probably by soaking and then gently scrubbing them off with scouring pad ( Very Gently). You'll need to support the substrate whilst you're doing this, preferably on a a piece of glass or similar smooth object. Once cleaned up allow the print to dry. It will try to and probably succeed in curling up so you'll need to restrain it somehow. remember it is very delicate, and the image is dyes in a gelatin matrix. Very very delicate when wet.

Can it be done , I don't know. I always did it with the top surface laminated so no real problem. Except that sometimes you got paper with an excellent grip and was a pig to strip

Ppersonally I'd try and combine the images in Photoshop, give it the distressed look this way and then get it printed on canvas. Probably not as satifing but a whole lot easire

Have fun

There is an inkjet printing medium that can be floated off its backing paper and onto stuff like wood, clay, metal and glass. The problem is I can not remember what it’s called. I think I have seen it on sale at the London Graphic Centre in Covent Garden. If you don’t find it on their website then give ‘em a ring and explain what you are after – They are very helpful there.
http://www.londongraphics.co.uk/

Another site that might be of interest to you is….
http://www.alternativephotography.com/

Good luck.
Sam-D

Not sure about inkjets, but years ago at work we used to use water slide transfers for transferring pictures onto plates. Basically the transfer is soaked in a bowl of water and it slides off the backing paper and onto whatever you want.

Epson so T shirt transfer paper or used to. You print, then iron the image onto (in your case) the canvas?

Thanks for the advice.

Following Sam's post I did a bit of searching and came up with Lazertran

I can get a small pack to practice with and if it works I could use that.

:)

Update:

(I know it's been a while - I've been busy)

I bought some Lazaertrans and liked it, so today I took delivery of 50 sheets of 17" x 11" Lazertrans ($130) to fill up the canvas that's still hanging on my wall blank.

It'll take me another 2 or 3 weeks to finish but I'll share the results.

Back